So I have had a few requests for this type of DIY. This is all the interior accent pieces. If I forget any piece let me know and I'll post that one too. And if there is any other DIY out there you want to know I am pretty much down to do anything just ;et me know and I can arrange it. So with out further a due. DIY interior panel removal.
1 First you will need your hands, a screwdriver, about 30 minutes and of course a 2nd Gen xB.
2. The first piece is the Shifter surround ( this might be a little different for you automatic people out there but should be about the same for this piece). Grasp the piece with both hands at the bottom. Ever so gently pull up, just to release the clips at the bottom. (At the top it just slides into place.) After you pull the bottom out slide the piece up and out. Using your fingers push the shift boot off the piece. Push from the front using both hands on the left and right of the rigid part of the boot it will fall right out. You will have to unplug the wiring harness for the hazards lights. Removal of the hazard button and the blank plug are easy. The have two retainers on the side, push them in and push out the front.
3. Next is the removal of the stereo surround. (We must skip the AC/Heater control surround so we can get to a screw) With both hands push from the bottom and pull up it should pop right out. It is the same concept as the shifter surround, clips at the bottom and slides into place at the top. On this piece is also a small piece on the bottom that can be removed as well it is just held in by Clips . Once you pull this piece off urn upside down and look at the piece its pretty self explanatory.
4. Next is the AC/Heater control surround. After taking off the stereo surround this exposed a small black screw on the left hand side. Take this screw out. Next grasp the dash at the point where you took out the screw and lift up just an inch or two. This will free the lip of the AC/Heater control piece. Now it is the same concept as before, grasp from the bottom and pull up and out, clips on the bottom and slides into place on the top.
5. Now to remove the knobs from the surround there are three wiring harnesses that you must unclip. Then on each of the knobs are two small retaining clips. You must push them in to slide the knobs out. (a side note: its easier to pull the plastic away from the tabs than to try to push the tabs in, use a very small screwdriver to do this.) Also its easier to do this than try to take the cabling out the back of the knobs. After removal, the knobs will just sit in the open area until you reinstall them. Then the piece is out.
(The retaining clip is the small black square on the side of the knob you can see there.)
6. Next is the small panel on the other side of the dash. The mirror control and the dash brightness control. To do this we will also have to grasp the dash right above it and pull up an inch or so to free the lip. After this grasp the bottom of the panel and pull up freeing the clips on the bottom. The pull up and out. There is several wiring harnesses you must take off. Also the controls slide right out the front once the panel is removed.
7. Next is the plastic around the steering wheel. This you will need a star key to loosen two screws. If you look on either side of the steering wheel on the back is two holes with screws in them. Loosen them all the way.(They will not fall out the are stuck in there so don't worry about it). This frees your airbag. No need to unplug your air bag just let it sit there out of the way. Once you have the airbag the two plastic pieces are being held on by a small screw. Unscrew these and pull off. For the stereo control side you will have to take the switch apart. There are two screws on the control, unscrew those exposing the circuit board. Then it will slide out of the plastic piece. Then punch out the rubber mode bottom through the bottom. This will free the piece from the steering wheel. Next the volume button and the up and down button will pop out the front. And those pieces are done.
8. Last but not least is the gauge cluster surround. This is really simple. Grasp from the bottom and pull up it'll pop right out. Same concept as all the rest of the, clips and slides right out.