Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone added an amp to this system? It seems to be lacking bass and overall depth, especially in the rear speakers. I'm thinking of adding a 5 channel amp and a subwoofer. If any of you have experience with this system and upgrading it, please let me know what your results were!
TIA!
~Bec~

·
Registered
476 Posts
I heard that you can add a graphic display to this radio and change the face color. Is it worth the extra money or is it just a useless feature. Wouldn't mind upgrading if it is worth the money!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scion said:
I heard that you can add a graphic display to this radio and change the face color. Is it worth the extra money or is it just a useless feature. Wouldn't mind upgrading if it is worth the money!
the graphic feature is cool but it wouldn't be enough for me to have upgraded just for that feature. my xb was already set up with it when i bought it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jrl91789 said:
With the Pioneer premium audio, I got a dedicated sub set-up in the back it makes helluva difference just with that.
So does that sub just give you more bass? I'm really looking for more depth, clarity, volume and bass. Kinda like what a BOSE system would sound like....

·
Registered
180 Posts
The speakers that come with it are a little muddy and the mid highs are harsh in my opinion. I ended up installing after market speakers front and rear to clean up the sound and then re-capped the stock tweeters to 6K to decrease there harshness on the upper mids but still bring the sound stage off the floor. Adding a dedicated sub would round things out nicely but it will never be loud without an amp for the front and rears. I think the idea of a five channel amp or a 4 channel and a sub amp and a new set of speakers would be good if you want really better sound.

·
Registered
286 Posts
woowhoo said:
jrl91789 said:
With the Pioneer premium audio, I got a dedicated sub set-up in the back it makes helluva difference just with that.
So does that sub just give you more bass? I'm really looking for more depth, clarity, volume and bass. Kinda like what a BOSE system would sound like....
Love the SUB upgrade a lot. Well, it's no BOSE but I pretty much love the sound already. Maybe I just don't pay attention to MIDS & HIGHS details. :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
MidlifeCrisis said:
The speakers that come with it are a little muddy and the mid highs are harsh in my opinion. I ended up installing after market speakers front and rear to clean up the sound and then re-capped the stock tweeters to 6K to decrease there harshness on the upper mids but still bring the sound stage off the floor. Adding a dedicated sub would round things out nicely but it will never be loud without an amp for the front and rears. I think the idea of a five channel amp or a 4 channel and a sub amp and a new set of speakers would be good if you want really better sound.
Do you happen to know what the OE corner frequency is for the tweeters? I've been wondering if they should be replaced, but I've really nothing to go by :(! I'm right now trying to settle on an HU upgrade (looking for better sonics) and what if anything I should do with the tweeters. The OE door speakers have been replaced with Alpine 6-1/2" coax. (Just ruled out an Eclipse CD3100 HU and am currently listening to an Alpine CDA-9884 and thinking about trying a Kenwood KDC-X692.)

·
Registered
781 Posts
A follow up:

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my setup. I'm just auditioning two receivers and though I've pretty much ruled out one of them, I'll be adding another in a couple days. I'm trying to figure out what problems are associated with the head units Vs speakers Vs resonances.

I just tried throwing thick towels in front of the two tweeters so as to narrow it down to my door coaxs. I'm definitely hearing honkiness with vocals (ie midrange) and it's really bothering me. I previously added deadening to the outer skin, but putting my hand on the inner panel adjacent the speakers, I can feel vibration, particularly during significant midrange content (together with some during deep bass.) So I'm thinking I need to add deadener to the back of the inner panel, at least in the region of the speakers.

I also noticed that when I remove the towels, and trim back the treble to maintain balance, there actually appears to be an increase in honkiness. Makes me wonder if the tweeter is contributing some in that frequency range.

MidlifeCrisis -- You say you changed the filter capacitor?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well, I guess this is an old thread and there's no further interest from the earlier parties, but my own testing concludes there is nothing wrong with the OE tweeter crossover point. However, there is plenty wrong with the resonances endemic to the interior door panels. Good sound is available with out fritzing with the tweeters, it's resonances that are the problem!

·
Registered
180 Posts
TrevorS said:
A follow up:

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my setup. I'm just auditioning two receivers and though I've pretty much ruled out one of them, I'll be adding another in a couple days. I'm trying to figure out what problems are associated with the head units Vs speakers Vs resonances.

I just tried throwing thick towels in front of the two tweeters so as to narrow it down to my door coaxs. I'm definitely hearing honkiness with vocals (ie midrange) and it's really bothering me. I previously added deadening to the outer skin, but putting my hand on the inner panel adjacent the speakers, I can feel vibration, particularly during significant midrange content (together with some during deep bass.) So I'm thinking I need to add deadener to the back of the inner panel, at least in the region of the speakers.

I also noticed that when I remove the towels, and trim back the treble to maintain balance, there actually appears to be an increase in honkiness. Makes me wonder if the tweeter is contributing some in that frequency range.

MidlifeCrisis -- You say you changed the filter capacitor?
Don't know about honkyness, but I think the tweeters were at around 3K to 4K and because they were muddy they didn't do much for upper mids. Also the frequency response of the premium system is wacked and the upper mids are depressed compared to lower frequencies.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Cheers, glad to see you again :)!

The nominal tweeter crossover RC values are 4ohms and 3.9 uF which calculate as nominally 3 dB down at 10KHz -- which I would think fine (-6dB at ~5KHz.) I was trying to compare the sound between towels thrown over the tweeters (with door treble touched up a little to compensate) Vs sound without tweeters. Until I damped the door panels, adding the tweeters made it worse, after damping, adding the tweeters made it better. I agree, midrange information coming from both the tweeters AND the door panels wasn't good, but in my opinion, the problem wasn't the tweeters, it was the door panels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too, got the upgrade, but I probably could have picked up and aftermarket unit for less money. I bought a Kenwood unit for the Highlander that I traded in on my new xB. That worked out nicely. Anyway, since I have it, I'd also like to upgrade the speakers. Any suggestions for xB speakers? I had Polk's in the Highlander and they sounded great, but I'd rather get some advice from folks who have made a change already. Maybe after speakers I'll consider some other audio upgrades, but I don't have much experience with other components...

Thanks,

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've not had a lot of luck getting a good answer on this question either. I've been looking for a while and I think I've settled on these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651/Polk-Audio-db651.html?tp=105

Planning on going all the way around with them and then looking for a sub for the trunk. Probably a bazooka tube. I don't need a ton of sound I just want it to sound fuller. Not looking to destroy my hearing heh.

My only consern is spending $150 for 4 speakers and then not really noticing a difference because they really need an amp to be powered right. Then the cost just starts rising...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Crutchfield is a decent place to purchase audio equipment, but grossly overpriced IMO.

You could check out www.sonicelectronix.com, www.woofersetc.com, www.onlinecarstereo.com, and many others.

I currently have JL Audio XR650-CSi components in my front doors and stock units in the rear. IMO, rear speakers don't need to be upgraded because all you really need is a decent front stage. I recommend adding an amplifier for component speakers. It will not only give the speakers more power, but it will also give them a cleaner signal making them sound better.

·
Registered
154 Posts
so let me get this right... Does the upgraded pioneer have RCA outs that you can add an amp too?

·
Registered
528 Posts
BigMikeLV said:
I just picked up the upgraded Pioneer Radio on Ebay for $200.
Nice deal! A friend of mine here scooped one up and put in her xA! Looks great! :yes:
I'm not 100% sure how the upgraded unit is compared to other aftermarket units, but it has to be better than the OEM regular unit. Plus, it has RCA outs!
I still like my DEH-P980BT... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.