Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put hella horns on the new 2nd gens? I read alot about the horn bouncing back with the grille and all, and the new upper grille is smaller. Plus I want to be able to see them since the red cage will be purple before I install it. Any input?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I put Fiamm horns in mine but painted them black so that they blend in. They sound like a domestic car (no more "meep-meep" sound). The Fiamm horns are thicker than stock but supposedly they are smaller than many aftermarket horns. You may also want to consider current draw, if your new horns draw more than 10 amps you may want to put in a relay to preserve your horn button electrical contacts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea the relays will be put in. It's now on my list for the next month or so :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
They are kinda plug and playish. I did not wire the relay in (when I called them they said they "believed" they were around a 12amp draw). I simply cut the single wire from the factory horn, connected that to the positive of the sickspeed horn then made a small ground (just behind where the grill ends on each side there is a bolt that clamps the end of the fender down (top of it was painted body color) but when I removed it it was bare metal underneath) for each horn.

The brackets I made to hold them are just medium duty plumbers strap (just aluminum strips with multiple holes in them). The horns have a single mount bolt in the back and I bent the strips up at an angle to use a pre-existing bolt on top of the radiator support to hold them. All of it is hidden under the radiator top plastic cover.

I mounted them off to the side due to fitment and location. I didn't want to cut out the factory horn brackets and in order to get the horns evenly spaced for visual purposes, I found that going off to the sides worked best.

Hmm...now that I type this all out I guess it wasn't plug and playish at all...not real difficult, didn't take super long, just had to be a little creative.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ate you kidding me? This is about MY horns! Lol. I'm still gonna be looking around and trying to find what sounds good to me, but I guess the question fits for any of them really

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey boogie. Can you send me a picture of the brackets you used to mount your horns? I'm trying to pm you but it won't let me

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey boogie. Can you send me a picture of the brackets you used to mount your horns? I'm trying to pm you but it won't let me
Can't see the brackets without taking it all apart again. I made them out of plumber strap (like this: http://www.beam-wiki.org/w/images/thumb/9/99/P-Strap_Segments.JPG/200px-P-Strap_Segments.JPG ) They had several different thicknesses available at home depot, i pretty sure i used the middle one (thick enough to hold its shape but thin enough to bend).

I simply took the single, centered nut off the back of the horn, installed the strap with the nut to secure it. Placed the horns where I wanted them to live. Tilted the strap over toward the pre existing screw i wanted to use to mount them, bent the strap over the radiator support and mounted.

Basically ended up like an "L"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.