Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an IT/Network consultant in Boston so am on the road a lot going to client sites. One of the most frustrating things is running out of laptop or cellphone battery power. So, I decided to add a 110 volt AC adapter to charge if the car is off OR on. The power converter, a small Duracell DRINVP175, fits easily inside of the console so wiring is totally hidden.

Also, I decided to use the blank area (where a standard dashboard is located) to made/mount a custom smartphone stand I made from scrap plastic and run power and audio cleanly to the radio head-unit. It's a Samsung Android based phone and there is a free app called "C affine" that keeps the display on all of the time, great for GPS and listening to Pandora on the run! Below are pics of my efforts and a little more info. :cheers:

The blank that came with the car was a PERFECT spot to add the AC outlet. I carefully cut our the slots and for the plug. Below that is a short extension that runs to the power converter.

It's perfect for charging cell phone batteries or may laptop!!

Mounted underneath the console is a kill switch to the AC converter. I added this because the AC converter is connected to an "always on" 12v lead, so I didn't want to drain the battery when not in use. So, switch on/red = AC on. Off = AC off :) That way there I can lock up my car, go to my job, and have my stuff charged by the time I get back. BTW, I've left this on for days and the draw is so small that I really don't have to worry about the battery dying.

The is the stand I made for my cell phone. It' pretty much custom for my Galaxy S3, so it just pops in there with no velcro, tape or anything and it stay firmly in place. I made it carefully with my table saw and belt sander. It's just some scrap PVC plastic I had kicking around. I painted it with some grey spray paint primer and just kept it that way. I mounted it with some 3M double sided tape so can remove it down the road.

It works awesome as my "command center" for the Xb! GPS, Pandora, email (but no texting!) The Caffine app keeps the display on all of the time otherwise it would be really annoying! USB and audio route cleanly behind it, through the dash and pop out at the radio and it sounds great!

Got to have my comedy station!

I have a DUAL receiver I like. The original unit is really nice but this one has HD and bluetooth.

A wide angle so you can see everything. Enjoy! :D

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Nice work, very clean!
And interference on the holder when you turn the wheel?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Nice. I assume that you know the purpose of the blank panel that you used for your AC outlet? Hopefully you will not need that function.

Allan
It's where the microphone goes for the window break sensor on the factory alarm.

He just cut the blank. If he decided to install the factory alarm, the blank/outlet would be replaced with the glass break sensor anyway and the outlet could just be relocated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Zinger I believe the original purpose of that blank was to cover the spot that allows you access so that you can put the transmission in neutral when you do not possess the ignition key. I suspect one of the more knowledgeable here can let me know if I am wrong about this.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Zinger I believe the original purpose of that blank was to cover the spot that allows you access so that you can put the transmission in neutral when you do not possess the ignition key. I suspect one of the more knowledgeable here can let me know if I am wrong about this.
Look at his first photo, the transmisison lever release (its actual name escapes me at the moment) is the small black square directly above the PRND12 indicator. You can see the slot in it where you are supposed to insert a flat blade screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
For future reference the sunroof/moonroof whatever is up on the roof in the front between the lights
(on the rs5 anyway)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Yup. I was just showing him/others where the button for the sunroof actually is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.