Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run some lights under my dash. Did anyone run power direct from the battery to inside the cab? I heard that you can push the cables thru the steering column? Do you have to access it from under the car or can you get to it under the hood? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clay said:
I want to run some lights under my dash. Did anyone run power direct from the battery to inside the cab? I heard that you can push the cables thru the steering column? Do you have to access it from under the car or can you get to it under the hood? :rolleyes:
Tons of power under the dash. For example the power outlet in the shift column has plenty of 12 volt power to run under dash lights.

icey

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to change the 12v outlet in the shift console to constant 12v but don't know how to get the console apart to get to it. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Als08Xb said:
I want to change the 12v outlet in the shift console to constant 12v but don't know how to get the console apart to get to it. Can anyone help?
well what i did was take the console out by pulling up on it but be gental and remove the wires to the 4 way signals then take the 2 screws out and gentaly pull the console out but be careful the connectors for the 12 v outlet are still connected pull them off the run a jumper wire directly from the battery into the cab then cut the positive wire then use a butt connector to connect the wires together and then reassemble......DONE

·
Registered
3 Posts
II used to install car stereos a while back and one of the things I had the MOST trouble with was running the power cable from the engine bay to the interior of the car. I eventually found the perfect soulution, plus, it works on ANY CAR. Every car (well, most cars) have a large wiring harness running through the wheel well and into the passenger compartment. I normally run the power wire along with this harness. Be sure to cover the wire with loom and electrical tape to protect it, and zip tie the wire to the harness to keep it in place. Easy fix!

G

·
0 Posts
What if I want to install a mini fidge what would one have to do for power?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You would just have to get a DC to AC converter, you can get them from almost anywhere. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and provides power outlets to devices that run on AC current.

G

·
0 Posts
What if I wanted to run a hidden wire to the back and make an outlet there, kinda like what other memeber did but I would need a 120v outlet like someone had mentioned b4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In that case, what I would do is extend the cigarette lighter cable with a heavier gauge wire and install and hide the converter somewhere in the back of the car. Then I would either run the wire from the device to the hidden converter or get fancy and mount an electrical outlet somewhere and hard wire the output of the converter to the outlet. Just make sure you mount the outlet to something solid since you will be plugging and unplugging things and make sure it's not touching anything metal. AC and DC don't mix very well in that respect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts