Scion XB Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thinking of doing the Eibach Sport line, what shocks do you guys suggest with them? TRD or Tokico? Think I'll be OK with my 20x7.5 rims?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I really want to lower my xB with the TRD springs, but my driveway (and alot of other places around where I live) is too steep and I already scrape the concrete sometimes... :(

·
Registered
317 Posts
airbags may be the way to go then

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
The work different.

Springs drop by being shorter, and usually are stiffer. Springs are also a fixed height. Air bags replace the springs and drop by the physical release or filling (to raise) w/ air.

As airbags can lower or raise, they are great for the lowest possible drop. You can literally sit the frame on the ground, the raise it back up to drive away. Try that w/ springs and your moving no where fast.

The flipside . . .
Air bags can provide a decently soft ride, but only "handle" so-so in fast corning.
In cornering (like on mountain twisties), you'd really want springs for optimum handling. Also, when looking at springs, there are some designed for handling first, while others are designed for maximum drop first. As such, the design compromises of each make for a different "look" vs. "handling" compromise.

As I am interested in handling primarily and only drop second (I could be "OK" w/ little to no drop if they were the best handling springs on the market), at the top of my list are the Hotchkis springs. Hotchkis designs their units for handling, but don't drop as much as the DFs.
As my personal interest is in handling, airbags won't be seen on my fridge.

That said, I've seen WONDERFUL airbags xBs, mainly first gens. In Scikotics, Boxzilla, Spazzy Spaz (Tim at SparksTRD), and "Crabs O'Nasty" (Chris, of -I think- Jacksonville's Panda Auto Works http://getpaw.com/index.html ) all have really cool airbag units. THOSE made me actually seriously consider a set!

In short, it gets to what YOU are interested in and can afford. What is important? Absolute drop? Comfortable ride? Extreme/optimized handling? The ability to raise and lower?
Springs: Good drop, variable ride (based on brand and design- how stiff), usually improve handling (some more dramatically than others), FIXED height (or adjustable w/ a decent amount of work).
Bags: Extreme drop, good to great ride, OK handling (wouldn't autocross it), wide range of ride heights at the push of a button/toggle.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow, thanks guys. Well, I can rule out bags just by looking at that $3k price tag! I'm not going for max lowering on my xB anyways.. I just want it to be a tad lower to get rid of some of that gap above the rear tires, you know? (However, I love the stance of the xB's when they are stock like mine; how they tilt foreward just a little bit.) Right now I'm considering either the TRD Springs or the Eibach Pro Springs. Both look like good options in my opinion. Also, is scraping the pavement, speed bumps, etc just part of the package when you lower your car? I suppose I could handle a little bit of that...

·
Registered
294 Posts
I sit on DF 210s and daily drive it !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can we add like a handling and ride feel rating to the springs? Maybe a out of 5 stars sort of deal?

I'm looking at more performance oriented springs rather than drop. I liked the way the TRD springs felt and handled on my test drive but don't really like the more squishy feeling of the stock springs on my actual purchased vehicle.

Not after extreme drop since the roads here are always unpredictable in surface quality and I'm usually carrying a lot of gear (but I haven't fully loaded it just yet)

But otherwise this thread is great! Maybe update with some models too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question about dropping the box

I was checking out some info on here about lowering springs, as far as prices, its not really an issue. What I was more interested in knowing about was why a majority if not all of the available products drop the box's rear more than the front? Is that by design? Are there lowering springs and suspensions out there that drop the front end lower than the rear? Will the box ride differently if the rear rides higher than the front?

Reason why I ask is because I really wanted to give the box that raised sporty "A-Team" style van look. Bigger lightweight wheels and an understated body kit, you get the idea...anyway, drop me some knowledge please!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Stock, the xB's rear is higher than the front and a lot of people don't like it. Most springs go lower in the rear to even it out, not to tilt the car upwards. The Sprint springs are suppose to lower the xB 2" in the front and 2" in the rear keeping a similar (yet lower) stance, but apparently after the springs settle the rear ended up at about a ~2.3" or so drop (give or take .1").

A while ago on Scion Life, there was a guy who was trying to lift his xB with some sort of Toyota Rav4 suspension if I remeber correctly. He hasn't updated it in a long time, so I don't know if it ever worked.

An A-Team xB would be amazing!! :rockon:

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about a price guide to go along with that info? Maybe even web links as well? Now are these just springs or do they offer struts as well?

Yeah agree, a price guide would be wonderful. I've been canvassing on
Scion parts like springs, etc. from various sources on the web. I'm trying to figure out the best deal. :cheers:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I sit on DF 210s and daily drive it !

I was wondering if you or anyone out there on df210s has any tire wear due to camber problems? I love the look of these but would hate it if the tires wore out quicker. Also can you run these with stock struts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I'm just trying to even it out, what speings would be best with the best ride? TRD? I was thinking either TRD or NF210

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just arrived from one of the other forums. This is my first post. I have an HTM just like the one above. Complete stock. That's changing soon.

I want to lower just a tad. Still don't mind if the back is slightly higher. I'm likely going with TRDs. I don't think Toyota would license those springs for XB's if camber and alignment would be thrown off. I'm sure that after installing the springs, and or new struts, you can take it to a shop to dial in the alignment perfectly.

For me, handling comes first, then looks. I do have to load a bunch of musical instruments and amps in the back often. So, having the back slightly higher is a good thing. Otherwise, it'll be lower in the back than in the front when loaded.

I also have to put snow chains on every once in a while, so I need more clearance than those of you that drop and have about 1mm of clearance! Haha.

TRD springs, do they perfectly level the car out, or will the back still be a little higher? Are the hotchkis really better?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just arrived from one of the other forums. This is my first post. I have an HTM just like the one above. Complete stock. That's changing soon.

I want to lower just a tad. Still don't mind if the back is slightly higher. I'm likely going with TRDs. I don't think Toyota would license those springs for XB's if camber and alignment would be thrown off. I'm sure that after installing the springs, and or new struts, you can take it to a shop to dial in the alignment perfectly.

For me, handling comes first, then looks. I do have to load a bunch of musical instruments and amps in the back often. So, having the back slightly higher is a good thing. Otherwise, it'll be lower in the back than in the front when loaded.

I also have to put snow chains on every once in a while, so I need more clearance than those of you that drop and have about 1mm of clearance! Haha.

TRD springs, do they perfectly level the car out, or will the back still be a little higher? Are the hotchkis really better?
I have the TRDs and they lowered it a good bit but i dont rub on anything, just how i wanted it. The back is about level with the front once dropped. maybe slightly higher.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What I have been scratching my head about is whether or not the 17x8 wheels I want will work or not with stock overall diameter tires on TRD springs. The offset is +30. Tires would be something like 225/45/17. I can't have any rub whatsover.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts