Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a couple hydrolic floor jacks. The Xb is so low even on stock springs that it is difficult to roll the jack far enough under the car to get to a good lift point. Where to you put your jack to lift the front?

Maybe I could cut a slot in a piece of channel, clamp it to the floor jack and lift from the body where the scissor jack fits?

·
Registered
976 Posts
The owners manual is a wonderful thing. I just looked it up and there is a lift point in the front center and one behind each rear wheel.

I just wish I had looked that up before I changed my oil and rotated tires this morning!

I'm too cheap to buy a new jack. I got my 20 ton floor jack and a 12" Craftsman bandsaw at a garage sale last summer for $20!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wrecked the jack that came with my 08...buckled under the load, i take full responsibility as i was jacking it up in the back yard at the time.
I was using mine in the garage (level surface!!!) when it failed. Apparently this is definitely a problem that I plan to address with Scion. What the heck? Are these jacks being made in Mogadishu or Kandahar??? Geeeeeesh!!! :eek:

Fights On!

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::eek::)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used mine for the first time. Didn't fail on me but i'm not going to use it again. Glad found this post. I was sitting down with my legs under the car putting my tire back on. Thank goodness it didn't fail.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
I've used mine several times w/ no problem. Take the broken jack to Toyota/Scion and show them what happened. It shouldn't have.

For those who failed, what year was the vehicle?
Any number/serial indicators on the jack itself?

I'm wondering of it was a weak batch or a design issue . . .

·
Registered
27 Posts
remember campers, always use jack stands whenever possible!

I was too lazy to use them. Just got new ones too. I'll make sure to use them. This my be a dumb question but where do i place them? In the same area that the stock jack goes?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Scissor jacks are usually quite stable, problems generally arise from either not using a structurally intended lift point, not having a firm level surface to jack on, or the car not being secured from rolling. You should never place any part of your body under the car without having the car raised on jackstands. Not even hydraulic jacks are safe for that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am calling Scion Customer Service tomorrow. I will post results of my conversation soon after. Stay safe and keep all limbs out from underneath your xB2 if you decide to use that jack!

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::eek::)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What part of the jack failed? Was it the metal, joints or the screw part? Is the jack bent?
The jack screw is bent. I also noticed the scissors did not appear to be straight as I got it cranked to the point I could get the front tires off the garage floor in order to remove it. The jack without question was not up to the task. :eek: It has a sticker on it that says it is rated for 800kg which seems inadequate. I could not find a part number on it.

We bought our 2008 under the Certified Pre-Owned program at Daytona Toyota in Feb 2011. Despite being 3 years old the car only had 14400 miles on it with what had to be the OEM tires. The jack looked new and I believe had never been used until I pulled it out to swap out the tires/wheels. I have owned quite a few Toyotas over the years as well as other cars and never have had a jack fail.

I had the car in our garage on a level floor with the emergency brake set. I will admit that I do not own a set of towers that I could have used to keep things "safe" but then again, I will not have towers in the car if I happen to be running around town either. The bottomline is the jack has to be reliable and sturdy enough for the static loads it will see under normal use.

Being an Air Force veteran, I have use of the Auto Skills Hobby Shop at the local Air Force Base that happens to have seven lifts and a full complement of tools for us tinkerers to use. It is where I usually go to work on all our cars. The day the jack failed, the Hobby Shop was closed and I was tooooo impatient to wait for the following weekend to install the new wheels/tires. :rolleyes: Despite all that, I am going out to get a set of towers today!:p

Yesterday I went to Mike Erdman Toyota to explain what happened. I talked to their Parts Dept. and found out there are two part numbers listed for the 2008 xB jack. The individual I talked to stated the reason there is a second part number is most likely because there was an issue with the original part and a new part was most likely provided in follow on vehicles. The folks at Mike Erdman are always very helpful and forthcoming with information. They helped me contact Scion USA where I was able to explain what had happened. At this point, Scion tells me they have to replace my jack and have assigned a regional rep to investigate my case and determine if there are any prolific issues with these jacks. He will be contacting me on Monday, 4 Apr. I will post another update once I talk to him. Thanks for all the inputs......I did tell Scion USA there were other folks on NewScionxB that had experienced jack failures as well. Stay tuned for further words.

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::rolleyes::)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just came back from delivering the failed jack to Mike Erdman Toyota. Supposedly they needed to look at the jack and the car before making a determination on how to proceed. I comprendo needing to look at the jack, but needing to look at the car ??? :confused: ? Looks like another trip to the dealer because I was in my Tundra :rolleyes:. I left the jack with the rep and they are ordering a replacement.

Once I get the replacement, I intend to get the part number and post that information here FYI.

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::rolleyes::)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts