Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New/used xB in December. Only 20K miles on it when we purchased it. Had the dealership change the oil since the PO had all work done there.

Anybody having problems with accuracy of oil dipstick level?

See my experience below:

I changed the oil again yesterday. Wierd encounter. I have three Landcruisers, an Avalon, and Camry. All read the dipstick consistently after an oil change after placing the manufacturer's volume of oil based on their capacity from the owner's manual. In this case, with oil filter change (Toyota) the capacity to replace is 4.5 quarts.

However, the Scion xB is off. After 3500 miles on the oil change, the dipstick was reading 1/2 low (per the owner's manual this would be ~ .6 quarts low). The drain of the oil provided ~3.5 quarts into my trusty milk jug container. I thought this to be a low volume return. This would have meant burning ~ 1 quart in 3500 miles. The dipstick would not have been accurate with it reading 1/2 way between the low and high dots on the dipstick.

Replaced the filter, placed the bolt back into the oil pan and filled with 5W20 Mobile 5000 - what the Toyota Dealership uses. I placed 4.5 quarts back into the engine fill hole, started the car, let in run to fill the filter, checked for leaks, and turned off the engine. Let it sit for 15 minutes and checked the oil level. It was reading at ~ .5 inches above the oil "high" level dot. This did not seem correct. I checked the capacity again just to make sure. It was correct at 4.5 quarts.

I dropped the oil to check my measurement remove thinking that maybe somehow there was residual remaining in the engine since I only got about 3.5 quarts out of the engine when I dropped it the first time.

I came out to be about 4.2 quarts when I dropped it out the 2nd time. This is correct number since i left the oil filter in place and that would bring it up to 4.5 quarts.

Anybody got any ideas? Should I match the manufactures capacity volume or match the "high" dot on the dipstick like the rest of my fleet. I have never experienced this before. My volume has always matched my dipstick reading on all of my other Toyota vehicles.... of which I have many.

Other issues encountered was a leaky water pump. Good thing it had an extended warranty (Zurich bumper to bumper). Now wondering about potential quality issues with reading about all this over consumption of oil material. I only have 20K miles but beyond the 5 year warranty period of manufacturer. Somebody sooth my nerves please.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Refilled with 4 quarts. This volume with a filter change brings me to the "high" level oil indicator dot on the dipstick. Is this NEW Generation Engineering?

Why would Toyota do such an inconsistent engineering mistake? This is not the Toyota that I am used to.

72 FJ40 Landcruiser -- 87K miles
75 FJ55 Landcruiser -- 98K miles
93 FJ80 Landcruiser --190K miles
95 Toyota Camry -- 103K miles
2000 Toyota Avalon -- 77K miles

No problems at all with my fleet. Dipstick indicator is only tricky on the 93 FJ80. All others are spot on. Also, volume drained equals capacity and volume added per manufactures specs brings the oil level to the maximum oil level indicator on all other Toyota vehicles, spanning decades of engineering.

What happened?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am new to this forum. How technical is it? Looks like I have had 40 viewers with no responses. The Landcruiser (Mud) forum is pretty "techy" savvy. And responses are high especially with tech pictures. Is there another Scion xB site that will contain this information? I have performed "searches" on my "dipstick accuracy" with no returns. Have xB owners not encountered this discrepancy when they change their oil?

Regarding the "over oil consumption" TSB i have been reading about on this forum (bummer), the first time (after purchase of the Scion in December), as new owner, I had the oil changed at the dealer to keep up with the Previous Owner maintenence (oil changed at 3K miles after purchase and then every 5k after that), I took the Scion to Toyota with the oil level about between ~1/2 to 2/3 low after ~4100 miles.

The oil was changed by the Toyota dealership 1/22/13 but just looked at the "inspection sheet." The oil level was marked at "full." The inspection sheet has a graphic "dipstick" on the inspection sheet for the service person to document the "oil level on arrival." Toyota marked it at the "high" oil level indicator dot. I know what it was at, ~2/3 low after 4100 miles. That would be ~.8 quarts low after 4100 miles or about .3 quarts after the 1200 mile TSB criteria. I do not like burning oil, especially only after 24K miles currently on the car. This last oil change was .2 quarts per 1200 mile TSB criteria or .6 quarts per 3500 miles.

I will call the dealership to let them know that the service person may be mixing up the purpose of the graphic oil level indicator. Perhaps they are confused and marking the level after the oil change to represent "full." However, no where in my documentation or in the previous owner documentation of oil changes does it state how many quarts were added. This would have been helpful for my purposes. The work that I went through above would indicate that they added 4 quarts because the level was at the "high" oil level indicator dot when I picked it up.

Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I am new to this forum. How technical is it? Looks like I have had 40 viewers with no responses.
Looking at your timestamps, your first post was only 10 hours ago, and at least for me on the west coast it's 11pm-9am, so usually I'm asleep. :biggrin:

I admire you for changing your own oil and being savvy about your oil capacity and oil consumption. When I did my own oil changes years ago, I never checked how much oil I drained out so I never had an idea of how much oil I burned between changes. I did note how much oil I put in and on my previous cars (usually they were Toyotas) it always matched the manual.

Nowadays because I'm older (or maybe I'm lazier :biggrin: )and it's more hassle to get rid of the old oil, I have my car maintenance done by someone else. (3 Toyotas in my current fleet.) So I don't know how much oil actually gets put in when the oil is changed. So I can't respond to that. Don't know how many other people here are in the same boat.

Maybe the Landcruiser folks on the other forums are into hardware and maintenance more than car folks in general? Just a guess.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I did want to suggest some possibilities as to why the lack of responses.

·
Registered
432 Posts
this is my impression of the forums, I tend to like this one even though the ads are aggressive

clubxb - 1st gen xB hangout
scionlife - general forums
scikotics - a bit more technical
newscionxb - good combination

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even tho I change my oil I don't monitor how much it comes out. I just put back in what the manual states and I'm always dead on. I've had 4 Lexus, 4 Toyotas and this is my first Scion. I do tend to think the 2azfes do tend to burn oil a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Strange question, but you sure it is the correct dipstick?

My 2008 reads accurately and doesn't burn oil (60K). I don't measure what I take out,
but eyeball in 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1. I also had the water pump issue which was a problem with the 2008's. There are also recalls for the ignition coils and master window switch.

All of my Toyotas through the years have read accurately as does my current Lexus and Toyota.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your responses. My experience was quite the conundrum. Guess you were right on my time stamps. I am on the west coast also. This was later in the evening; my apologies I am older too but with 4 kids (two just through college and 1 in college and 1 in high school) so need to cut costs wherever possible. I have stressed to the kids and the wife to maintain the vehicles and they will definitely last longer.

I have checked the dipstick and it is stock. The master window switch was replaced under recall by previous owner and the ignition coil recall my car is not eligible. Also, thanks for the list of "other" xB Scion sites.

I have had some wierd experiences with taking vehicles to have the oil changed. Examples include:

1. One shop not knowing what weight oil they put in and having to change the oil and filter so as not to mix weight of oil
2. One shop altering my dipstick
3. Toyota not marking the inspection sheet correctly for oil level
4. Radiator shop not replacing the the antifreeze

You need someone trust-worthy. I have a shop that does nothing but Toyota's and are trustworthy. However, it is usually about $40/change. I can do it for about $16 using Mobil 5000 5 Qrt jug and original equipment Toyota filter and drain plug gasket.

I spoke to the Toyota/Scion dealership today to find out how much oil they replace with. Due to the known dipstick issue, they use 4.3 quarts for replacement volume because it looks so weird when an owner checks the dipstick (over by .5 inch). So, they compromise to keep the level below any potential "overfill" situation and the oddity of the dipstick accuracy. Not very satisfying response. Typically, he says, the oil consumption is caused by little maintenance of the engine. He has seen cars in the 100K mile range (2nd or 3rd owner) and Toyota will help them with a rebuild. He said the maintenance on these cars was poor with no records on oil changes, oil filter and air filters. He said that a sludge develops in the engine. Another reason for high oil consumption is the 0W20 oil. It is low viscosity so they use 5W20 for less burning and leaks.

It was a good conversation. He will remind the technicians to correctly mark the "inspection sheet." He said this is the most common thing that the owner uses for documentation. They don't typically check their oil level but instead bring it in for scheduled maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.