Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I stopped at my local Scion dealer today and found out the the spark plugs don't have to be changed until 120,000 miles, Yes, 120k is correct. That's sure to keep the maintenance cost inline.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, yes they are iridium. I would change them every 60K mark, just to get the optimum performance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt that changing the plugs at 60k would reveal any performance benefits over the recommended 120k. I don't understand why people want to spend money on things that don't need to be replaced. Oil changes earlier than the recommended schedule is another waste of money in my book, not to mention the environmental damage done.

These are modern engines and are engineered much better than the older cars in the 1980's.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well, the reason for doing an oil change in 3K instead of 5K, and change spark plugs earlier, is because ALL of us have different driving habits. For example, if you drive your car hard, it will obviously cause a greater wear in your car. A lot of daily drivers do not know that they drive in SEVERE driving conditions.

One more thing, on older cars (and new cars as well), it is recommeded to change your TIMING BELT at 60K. But if you can, it is SAFER to change it, maybe at 55K if you can. If it breaks, you will be paying for a new engine, which cost a lot more than changing your timing belt. Here again, it depends on the way you drive. YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR CAR, AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE!

I can tell you this, because I live in Las Vegas. City driving, stop-n-go, extreme conditions. It's like driving a taxi.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Agreed, I do a lot of hard driving in my vehicles and its necessary to change my maintenance parts earlier than the normal period. Filters, Belts, Tires, Oil, coolant, all of that wears out faster the more you drive your car and the harder you drive your car. Its even considered "harsh" conditions if you drive 25 miles to work everyday but its all stop and go traffic that takes a couple hours. In these cases you would need to change out those maintenance items much sooner than another person would. I can tell you from experience that these things wear out MUCH faster when racing. Why else would race cars change out their brakes, tires, oil, and other fluids after each race? Sure its probably good for a few more miles but when your talking about the longevity of your engine you need to ensure the best thing is in there. My old Toyota pickup I turned it into a pre-runner for the AZ desert. That thing hauled!! Toyota recommended changing out the fuel filter every 20,000 miles or so. I had to change mine out every 3,000 miles or the truck really suffered from lack of fuel. It all depends on the conditions :D.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, lets keep this post to regular driving people will experience and not racing! The xB doesn't have a timing belt to break so that isn't a concern as they will easily go over 100k without a problem. Engines are computer controlled allowing precise metering of the fuel which will make the plugs last and last. Transmission fluid will last as long as the tranny oil temp doesn't get over heated which it shouldn't if your cooling system is working correctly. Anti Freeze doesn't wear out, the rust inhibitors in the anti freeze breaks down and allows your cooling system to rust faster. Do you think Toyota is going to put their reputation on the line if they didn't believe the anti freeze couldn't go what they recommend?

Years ago Consumer Reports did a comparison on when to change the oil using New York City Taxi's and they found out that changing the oil at 3k wasn't much better than longer oil changes, they could hardly measure any wear difference between all of the engines used in the test.

Change it if it makes you happy, I just think the majority of people won't every have to touch most of the stuff mentioned here for the time they own their xB's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts