Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I stopped at my local Scion dealer today and found out the the spark plugs don't have to be changed until 120,000 miles, Yes, 120k is correct. That's sure to keep the maintenance cost inline.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt that changing the plugs at 60k would reveal any performance benefits over the recommended 120k. I don't understand why people want to spend money on things that don't need to be replaced. Oil changes earlier than the recommended schedule is another waste of money in my book, not to mention the environmental damage done.

These are modern engines and are engineered much better than the older cars in the 1980's.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, lets keep this post to regular driving people will experience and not racing! The xB doesn't have a timing belt to break so that isn't a concern as they will easily go over 100k without a problem. Engines are computer controlled allowing precise metering of the fuel which will make the plugs last and last. Transmission fluid will last as long as the tranny oil temp doesn't get over heated which it shouldn't if your cooling system is working correctly. Anti Freeze doesn't wear out, the rust inhibitors in the anti freeze breaks down and allows your cooling system to rust faster. Do you think Toyota is going to put their reputation on the line if they didn't believe the anti freeze couldn't go what they recommend?

Years ago Consumer Reports did a comparison on when to change the oil using New York City Taxi's and they found out that changing the oil at 3k wasn't much better than longer oil changes, they could hardly measure any wear difference between all of the engines used in the test.

Change it if it makes you happy, I just think the majority of people won't every have to touch most of the stuff mentioned here for the time they own their xB's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.