Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(Just purchased a 2008 with 50k miles on it. really like the vehicle but at about 72+ mph the windshield starts making this obnoxious buzzing noise. its more evident if there are cross winds, or head winds. :mad:

anyone else experienced this?

is there a known remedy?:eek:

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've never had this happen personally. I would take it back to where you bought it and tell them the issue first. If they won't help you I would visit an auto glass place and ask some questions.

First thoughts. Has it ever had its windshield replaced? Has it had/Does it have sub-woofers? By pushing (gently) on the windshield from the inside or outside, does it have any give?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
i drove an 08 for 3 years with 3 different windshields and i never experienced this issue. i have heard of a few having this issue, one just last week. the guy told me he had his windshield replaced and thats when he first noticed what sounded to him like an air leak. he took it back to windshield installer, who just to ease his mind, ran an additional bead of silicone inside and out...this did not solve the problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if the windshield has been replaced or not. Is there some markings to look for on the factory windshild that would identify it as original equipment?
I can't see anytning that appears to be the cause of the problem. Did anyone else resolve the problem..........you mentioned that you've heard of others having this.

I wouldn't say it sounds like a air leak, more like a high frequency vibration of something. There is a concave area of about 1/8 inch in the windshield gasket across the top and on both sides. Ii is just the way the rubber gasket is made, to catch water and route it down to the bottom of the windshield i guess. I filled the vertical gaps with some cylindrical rubber materal, but it didn't resolve the problem.
any other ideas?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had an intermittent noise from the dash/winshield area. It was mostly when I hit bumps - expecially in the cold of winter. I took it to the dealer (still in warranty). They said there are clips at the bottom of the windshield vibrating. Scion has a sound dampening kit they applied. It only helped somewhat. Now it is happening in the summer. Mine seems to be in the center of the dash at the base of the windshield. I think I'm going to pull the glove box and HU then have someone drive over some bumps while I try to isolate the noise.

I have read numerous reports from others about this issue. Call the dealer. Maybe there is a TSB.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
My thoughts:
2 likely causes . . .
1) the cowl at the base of the windshield is vibrating from misinstallation, crack, or missing parts.
2) the windshield was replaced and the molding is coming loose, so it is vibrating as the wind goes over it.

I've had both happen, thanks to a CRAPPY install on my second screen. Both are fixable.
I removed and reinstalled the black plastic cowl correctly and fixed that. The molding started coming loose next, which I glued back down.
My present windscreen fixed the issue once and for all. The installers not only knew the company who did the last one, but the installer (they had fired him previously for bad work).

·
Registered
116 Posts
My thoughts:
2 likely causes . . .
1) the cowl at the base of the windshield is vibrating from misinstallation, crack, or missing parts.
2) the windshield was replaced and the molding is coming loose, so it is vibrating as the wind goes over it.

I've had both happen, thanks to a CRAPPY install on my second screen. Both are fixable.
I removed and reinstalled the black plastic cowl correctly and fixed that. The molding started coming loose next, which I glued back down.
My present windscreen fixed the issue once and for all. The installers not only knew the company who did the last one, but the installer (they had fired him previously for bad work).
Glad to here this, cause if I ever need a new windshield I won't have to be afraid to have it done because I will know if installed correctly it will fit and be noise free like the original. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a 2010 XB that at over 70 mph would start making a noise from the windshield. It was at the top just to the right of the rear view mirror. The faster you went, the worse it got. It also was worse in colder weather.

You could "play a tune" by pushing on the windshield where the noise was coming from.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
That is precisely where my molding came loose. If at the top of the windscreen, esp. dead center, check that.
Mine got bad enough for it to physically lift loose.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at another xB the other day sitting on a used car lot, to see if the window gasket looked any different to mine. The gasket was the same design, and type, but the 'dip' in the gasket at the top appeared to be much smaller than mine. It looked like the windshield had been installed higher up so the seam at the top was quite narrow.
Can these windows 'droop' over time and settle lower near the dashboard?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at my windshield gasket along the top edge again last week and noticed that at one spot, the top edge of the rubber was tucked under the metal edge. I carefully took a plastic zip-tye, inserted it under the rubber edge between it and the window metal frame to force the gasket out from under the metal edge and into alignment with the rest of the gasket.

Drove the xB a couple of days later over 80 mph and no more vibration or whistling sound for now. woo hoo ........we'll see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, took another trip this weekend in the xB on Interstate hwy. Problem is NOT fixed. When driving 70 mph and higher the buzz, whistle, whatever you want to call is still there. Very annoying after a few minutes. The faster you go above 70 the louder and more steady the noise. Gotta re-think this one.........

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get some painters tape and seal around the windshield/molding. Drive it and see if it makes the noise, if not, remove the tape one side at a time from the windshield to see when the noise returns.

Two inch tape should cover the molding.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
good idea to tape off the sections to isolate the problem.

I have resolved this issue now................I got some screen door repair material, the rubber tubing that holds the screen material on the metal frame and applied it to the small 'valley' in the moulding that holds the windshield to the body opening. I had to apply a small bead of RTV in the moulding first, then press the rubber tubing into the valley. Problem solved !!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.