Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched unsuccessfully. Does anyone know the magic sequence to hit on a 2009 Scion XB key to reset/turn off the immobilizer if you have the original key?

Purchased a 2009 Scion XB a few weeks ago. It has been acting like a dream until I took it to the DMV to have the VIN inspected, left the doors open and the DMV guy hit the unlock and lock buttons to door and BOOM - car wouldn't start. The lights would come on and engine would go but not catch. Thought I needed to call AAA until a kind Driver's Ed instructor came out of the DMV crowd, calmly took the key from my hand, hit some buttons on the key, sat down in my car and it started right up.

He said "these cars have immobilizers. If you hit unlock buttons from inside the car and one door is open they can get upset. Next time it happens, step out of car and hit unlock, lock, unlock on key and this will reset and fix your problem."

Last night the driver's door was left open. The batteries aren't dead. My keys were upstairs and who knows what unlock/lock buttons my two year old hit on the Scion key. The immobilizer seems to be ON again. I can't start the car. I tried to replicate the Scion Sage's key manipulations, but I can't get it to work.

I have the original key. The car has been running and working great. It was hotter than HADES that day and horribly hot yesterday but still, I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Thank you for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.