Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had this problem? My Air Condition works when it wants to. When you start the car the air condition does not work. While driving down the road if you push the A/C button in and out after around 5-10 minutes it will start working blowing cool air. It will blow cool air until you turn the motor off or push the A/C button off and then start the process all over again. Sometimes it takes longer to come on and sometimes when you stop some where turn the car back on it begins to work. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Mine works just fine.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I have a 2010 now, but I had an '09 first. I live in one of the places that is just next door to hell, so it takes the AC a while to cool. I turn it on about a minute after I start the car then I have to wait for it to start to cool. I have vent visors, so I leave the back windows down a little when I park and leave them down until it starts to cool. Point being, it just may be slow if you live where it is very hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to toyota yesterday they said it is the compressor damaged from wreck. $2800 dollars to replace. It just doesn't seem right if it would work some of the time how could it be the compressor.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
That would depend on the nature of the damage. It wasn't completely caput, as it worked sometimes. Yet, it still didn't work right. It could be an intermittent internal electrical issue, rather than a freon leak or other system issue.

As for the cost, I'm not sure how hard it is to get to in the engine bay or the cost of the parts. I'd ask around a few other shops (good ones) and see if the cost seems right or not.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If it's the compressor, it's probably the electric clutch. You could probe the electrical wires to see if the compressor is getting a signal when you turn it on. If the compressor is getting a signal then the electrical clutch could be the problem. Low freon is another reason, along with pressure switches for the compressor to cycle on and off at times.

If you don't have any expertise in this area it's best to leave it alone and have a professional fix it. I would replace the compressor myself and then have the system recharged. Check around, dealers will always charge the most money because they have factory tech's. lol

Use this advise at your own risk!

Good Luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.