Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
Has anyone got the "new"' TRD intake on their B's yet?
I was wondering what was better between this one and the K&N Short ram ?
What I really care is the sound, since intakes only gives lil' mid range HP's

Thanks! :cheers:

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I absolutely love the sound of my Weapon R secret weapon short ram intake. The first time I heard it I was blown away by how bad ars is made the engine sound.

With a CAI its much more subtle, you won't really hear it much but it will still be there. So if you want an aggressive sound in your cab that will make you smile when you gas it, go short ram.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not a CAI... The new intake by TRD basically replaces the filter and removes the snornel. I presume it's because Scions where made available in Canada in 2011 and the old CAI would have suck so much water/snow in the engine!

· Registered
372 Posts
dang i didnt know that cais were quieter than the short ram, i thought it was the other way around...makes me re-think about the intake mod that imma do, like what brand....good thing i asked : )

· Registered
782 Posts
It's not a CAI... The new intake by TRD basically replaces the filter and removes the snornel. I presume it's because Scions where made available in Canada in 2011 and the old CAI would have suck so much water/snow in the engine!
It's a CAI, it draws cooler air from inside the left fender. True, it's different from the original, but it's still a CAI.

· Registered
658 Posts
I still think the AFe is the best of the short rams but its a clean look. The K&N is ok but I would want more heat shield than what the K&N offers, hence why I got the AFe.

· Registered
658 Posts
any pics of ur afe set up tardis?
Here it is with the heat shield off so you can see the filter. Also, if you order the AFe dry filter (you have the option of oil or dry when you order) you can clean it with warm water. Super easy, no oil to deal with.

And this is how it normally sits. Notice the only place where there's no heat shield is where the air tunnel faces. Minimal engine heat affecting the airbox providing optimal air density to the engine.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the sound?
Nice clean engine bay you have there :D

· Registered
372 Posts
Here it is with the heat shield off so you can see the filter. Also, if you order the AFe dry filter (you have the option of oil or dry when you order) you can clean it with warm water. Super easy, no oil to deal with.

And this is how it normally sits. Notice the only place where there's no heat shield is where the air tunnel faces. Minimal engine heat affecting the airbox providing optimal air density to the engine.

clean set up!!!

nice 8t6 u got there :)

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome sound! I can't wait to get my intake :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.