Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried 5 led bulbs, as well as unidirectional 12 led... They don't seem to work very well with the clear lens reflector style setup. Straight on they are bright but don't serm to fill out much. The regular bulbs seem to provide more usuable light.

Obviously looking for more brightness, especially with tinted windows. Anyone care to share their experiences?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I ordered a 24-LED panel (type 5050 high-output LEDs) from an eBay vendor but they sent me two LED bulbs by mistake. They were willing to send a replacement LED panel but wanted me to ship back the bulbs at my cost, or keep them and pay something extra. The bulbs fit my reverse lamp sockets however the light output was inferior so I ended up sending the LED bulbs back at my cost. Not sure if the LED bulbs used high-output LEDs or not.

Just saying that this one experience with LED bulbs replacing conventional bulbs was not so good.

Now, LED panels replacing conventional bulbs, that's another story. The panel lines up all the LEDs and tends to concentrate their light output. In my opinion an LED panel works nicely for interior lighting and map lights since you want that light to be directional. Well I guess you do for Reverse Lights too, however you might have to open up the reverse light housing and play with the aiming point, so too much hassle for me IMO.

On my Toyota pickup I rigged up a surplus white fog light with a relay as a 3rd backup light. THAT provided a LOT of light in Reverse, ha ha...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered a 24-LED panel (type 5050 high-output LEDs) from an eBay vendor but they sent me two LED bulbs by mistake. They were willing to send a replacement LED panel but wanted me to ship back the bulbs at my cost, or keep them and pay something extra. The bulbs fit my reverse lamp sockets however the light output was inferior so I ended up sending the LED bulbs back at my cost. Not sure if the LED bulbs used high-output LEDs or not.

Just saying that this one experience with LED bulbs replacing conventional bulbs was not so good.

Now, LED panels replacing conventional bulbs, that's another story. The panel lines up all the LEDs and tends to concentrate their light output. In my opinion an LED panel works nicely for interior lighting and map lights since you want that light to be directional. Well I guess you do for Reverse Lights too, however you might have to open up the reverse light housing and play with the aiming point, so too much hassle for me IMO.

On my Toyota pickup I rigged up a surplus white fog light with a relay as a 3rd backup light. THAT provided a LOT of light in Reverse, ha ha...
I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it for the price of the bulbs, but that sounds like it'd be a violation of eBay's or Paypal's rules.

·
Registered
661 Posts
thought i'd bump this thread again.

I had gotten some 7watt cree projector style bulbs. They have great output but because of the angle and the way the lense is molded, its kinda horrible.

So what else have you all tried...

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm resurrecting this again, and my second dug up thread today now :)

Did anybody find an LED solution that works well for the reverse lights yet?

Slorocket, what did they actually look like? Have a link?

I'm eyeing this one from Diode Dynamics-
2011-2013 Scion xB Backup LEDs (pair) - Replacement Lighting

They have a good comparison photo, and it looks like the first level labelled "921 SMD" in the image has similar light compared to stock on this Subaru, just whiter color. But the one labelled "921 Hi-Power" appears to be brighter. Now they have Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 as options with different brightness and prices and they describe them really well, but I don't know what that image corresponds to. I might have to email them about that also. They get pricey for Stage 2 and especially 3. Stage 3 is 50 watt which sounds ridiculous, ha, since stock for us is supposedly 20 watt incandescent, so maybe that one isn't pictured and it's just Stage 1 and 2 there. Anyway, they don't see to have the range limitation that people in this thread came across when they tried LEDs.

I like the looks of this company and will probably order something from them at least.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I got mine from "V-LEDS" not cheap,but really bright.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm eyeing this one from Diode Dynamics-
2011-2013 Scion xB Backup LEDs (pair) - Replacement Lighting

They have a good comparison photo...Now they have Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 as options with different brightness and prices and they describe them really well, but I don't know what that image corresponds to. ... so maybe that one isn't pictured and it's just Stage 1 and 2 there.
This is indeed the case. Stage 3 must be ludicrous brightness.

They replied to me:
The pictures shown in that comparison are for the stage 1 and stage 2 bulbs! The stage 3 is about 3 times brighter than the stage 2 and really gives off an excellent source of light. If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know.
I got mine from "V-LEDS" not cheap,but really bright.
How's the spread, Dale? Helpful enough to see what you need to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.