Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below is a link to photos and an article on the 2011 xB:

http://www.insideline.com/scion/xb/2011/2011-scion-xb-priced.html

"Toyota said its mildly face-lifted 2011 Scion xB, which begins arriving later this month at U.S. dealers, will get a modest $150 price bump, to $16,670 for the manual-transmission model and $17,620 with the automatic. The stickers include a $670 shipping charge.

For model year 2011, the xB gets a restyled front bumper with larger air intakes, new honeycomb grille plus revamped headlamps and taillamps, as well as two new colors, Army Rock Metallic and Elusive Blue Metallic.

The front seats have been redesigned, with larger bolsters and new fabric. The gauge cluster has been updated, the steering gets a tilt-and-telescoping function, and a center console with sliding armrest has been added."

· Registered
782 Posts
Wow, I have really mixed reactions to that! I like the more Rumion like front fascia (RS7.0/Rukus vent styling -- but I don't care for the additional vent width); however, I also like to be able to delete the nose badge, but now that becomes impossible. Not so sure the 2011 headlights are an improvement over the earlier years, and if I were to consider a fascia change, I would clearly have to change headlight assemblies as well as replace my eyelids :(!

Regarding the rear, many will no doubt prefer the dual reverse lights, but the old idiosyncratic cyclops reverse is actually kind of distinctive and not necessarily in a bad way. Still, the OE brightness of the cyclops reverse really does fall short (but can be considerably improved with an H8 :)!

Two things that sound especially interesting are the telescoping steering column (I'd even consider buying that as an upgrade for my 2008) and the center console changes. Don't yet have any feel for the value of the seat bolster changes -- maybe?

Thanks for the info :)!

· Registered
474 Posts
TrevorS said:
Regarding the rear, many will no doubt prefer the dual reverse lights, but the old idiosyncratic cyclops reverse is actually kind of distinctive and not necessarily in a bad way. Still, the OE brightness of the cyclops reverse really does fall short (but can be considerably improved with an H8 :)!

Two things that sound especially interesting are the telescoping steering column (I'd even consider buying that as an upgrade for my 2008) and the center console changes. Don't yet have any feel for the value of the seat bolster changes -- maybe?

Eliminating the single reverse light makes the back end "same oh, same oh" as every vehicle out there. I like being able to spot other xB2's as I approach them from the rear. :detective: from quite away back! The new rear bumper is bland....the front fascia is cool, but I agree on the size of the vents...center arm rest and telescoping steering column are a plus. :clapping: All-in-all it is cool...but, not giving up my paid for and modded 2008 for one.

Brewski

· Registered
782 Posts
Brewski said:
TrevorS said:

Eliminating the single reverse light makes the back end "same oh, same oh" as every vehicle out there. I like being able to spot other xB2's as I approach them from the rear. :detective: from quite away back! The new rear bumper is bland....the front fascia is cool, but I agree on the size of the vents...center arm rest and telescoping steering column are a plus. :clapping: All-in-all it is cool...but, not giving up my paid for and modded 2008 for one.

Brewski
Good point dude!

I've a fair number of mods on my 2008, and more mods are accumulating. For me to replace my modded 2008 with a stock 2011 would be a disaster. However, to take "mods" from the newer generation vehicle and install them on mine could definitely make sense! Anybody have a DIY for the 2011 telescoping steering wheel to the 2008 :)?

· Registered
94 Posts
Personally I don't like it as much as my '09. I love the single back-up light--it's quirky. I don't like cloth interior so I'd be changing that right away. I don't like the smaller grill either. I had heard that AWD was a possible option, but a 6 speed MT or 5pd AT with padle shift would have been a great option that I'd pay more for just to get the performance and added fuel economy. Maybe the 2012 will be a major change....

· Registered
96 Posts
Well I saw the rs7 at the montreal auto show and it had the same front bumper but as for the rest it didn't look like that......
It might be out of fear of change but I really don't like the exterior changes couldn't they have just put a shark fin antenna and hid head lights and called it a day? I'M quite fond of the single back-up light and it seems to me the new rear bumper is more squared than previous models.

Now as for the interior changes I like them espesialy the fact that you don't have to choose between ext, temp. and time of day! the only thing that kinda looks odd to me is the angle the climate controle knobs have it seems a bit much.

· Registered
782 Posts
ARSTECHNICA said:
I think I have made up my mind; I hate the new front. I like the new dashboard setup and the other features for the 2011.
Looks like it's the same hood, they just raised the fascia center to cover most of the 2008 upper grill area. I prefer the original because I can cleanly delete the emblem.

Didn't notice the instrument panel change -- looks like the surround is unchanged, likewise everything else in the dash/shift-console area. Guess I could go for that in addition to the telescoping steering column. It would be nice if Toyota/Scion spec'd mod kits for that kind of thing. However, they probably wouldn't since they want us to buy the new version -- not a chance :(!

· Registered
22 Posts
It looks so similar :D I like the front bumper though will that fit on all 2nd gens? The rear bumper is mediocre.

· Registered
782 Posts
Xbox510 said:
It looks so similar :D I like the front bumper though will that fit on all 2nd gens? The rear bumper is mediocre.
It looks to me the hood is unchanged, however, the headlights have changed; therefore, I'm expecting the new fascia won't fit the earlier xB2 without swapping out the headlight assemblies too.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I'll be curious to see if the outer headlamp shape has changed or just the housing internals.

· Registered
782 Posts
TartanJack said:
I'll be curious to see if the outer headlamp shape has changed or just the housing internals.
Very good question! Since Toyota was changing the front fascia anyway, there's probably little additional cost/risk in changing the headlamp assemblies as well. Still, if the headlamp assemblies kept the same dimensions, it would reduce cost/risk further and allow for retrofit. I wonder how Toyota feels about retrofit? No doubt there's potentially more profit to them for replacement than retrofit, but if they factor in the limited wealth of the typical Scion buyer -- hmmm !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.