Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 scion xb voodoo blue
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 xb with a problem, I have put close to 8,000 trying to get it fixed. Can any one help me? Please

·
Registered
2011 scion xb voodoo blue
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My 2011 scion xb feels like it is dragging when I am driving but not all the time. Just once in awhile. And it feels like my front tire is going to fall off. I have taken my car to 2 repair shops in the last 6 months and have spent close to $6,000 they replaced shocks/struts,front and rear brakes, front rotors, cv joints/boots, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, 4 new tires and a couple other things I can not remember. And it still did not fix those 2 problems. The feeling like the tire is going to fall has gotten a lot worse. I stopped driving it. Has any one had this problem? Please help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2011 scion xb feels like it is dragging when I am driving but not all the time. Just once in awhile. And it feels like my front tire is going to fall off. I have taken my car to 2 repair shops in the last 6 months and have spent close to $6,000 they replaced shocks/struts,front and rear brakes, front rotors, cv joints/boots, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, 4 new tires and a couple other things I can not remember. And it still did not fix those 2 problems. The feeling like the tire is going to fall has gotten a lot worse. I stopped driving it. Has any one had this problem? Please help.
First of all I'm sorry you got ripped off and didn't need all those new parts. #2 look under the car ( safely) and do a close inspection. See if anything looks out of place. It's probably something simple like something is stuck. Check that first.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Those parts may have all needed to be replaced. There is no way for us to know without seeing your car.
What do you mean it feels like the wheels is about to fall off? What are you feeling? Are there any noises?
As for dragging, my first thought would be a brake caliper that is hanging up. It sounds like you had that checked. On thing it could be that may not have been checked is the rubber line from the frame to the front brake calipers. Those can weaken with age and collapse. When you push on the brake you force fluid through the collapsed hose which activates the brake. When you let up on the pedal there isn't a force pushing the fluid back through to release the brake. The result is that brake is stuck on until the pad wears down.
One thing you could do is drive it for a bit in town (so you use the brakes often). When you get back put your hand NEAR each of the four brakes. Don't touch them or you could burn yourself (an infrared thermometer would be better). Does one corner feel much hotter than the rest? A stuck brake would cause a lot of heat from friction.
I had a stuck brake caliper on the rear. It caused so much heat before I caught it that it cooked the wheel bearing causing a loud squeal. If a wheel bearing is bad enough it could cause the wheel to wobble. I don't know how a mechanic wouldn't have noticed that though.
If you or someone you knows is comfortable doing so, you could take turns jacking up each corner of the car. Grab the top of the wheel and try to wiggle it in and out to see if the wheel feels loose. Be careful you don't yank so hard that you pull the car off the jack.
Finally, some general advice regarding mechanics... When you get a big list like that ask them to prioritize the list for you in terms of your safety. For example, the valve cover gasket was probably the source of a minor oil leak. Then take it to a different shop and ask them to look the car over and do the same thing. After they give you a prioritized list point out anything the other shop said was vital and ask them about it. Go with whoever seems more trustworthy.

This site doesn't seem too active. You might want to find an xB group on FaceBook and ask there. You will get a much quicker response.

Reactions: 9.0 RS lava
1 - 6 of 6 Posts