Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my Retro-Rod look this weekend I installed a AFE CX2-Pro Dry CAI and Borla Dual axle-back exhaust.
The AFE was a fairly easy install (except they sent me a tube missing the grommet hole for the crankcase return I had to do myself) and a pretty clean look installed. With the S.Fla weather an issue I didn't want anything that extended down to avoid possible hydro-lok issues. I'm not building a race car here just a little better breathing.
The Borla is a no-brainer install too if you have jack stands, lube spray and a big pry bar for the rubber hangers.
Together the sound is mellow and very complementary with one not overpowering the other. I did some highway & around town driving and while you can hear them both at various times it's a pleasant tone (no raspy s*it-can sound). Accelerating to highway speeds I did notice a bit of a drone at about 71-72 mph but it goes away as the speed levels off and you don't really hear much more from the exhaust unless you're pulling a grade or something like that. All & all I'm happy with these mods!
Now maybe a shift ball http://www.flameball.com/Abstract/ad-8.htm and I'm good to go

·
Registered
658 Posts
Very nice, good to see another AFe fan/supporter. I've run them for years and love them. Dry filters are the way to go as well, clean them with room temp water, let them dry and you're done. Can't beat it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Believe it or not, re-oiling also works well for appropriate filters (K&N, TRD), just need to be wary of excessive oil. However, as I mentioned elsewhere, car is looking great :)!
The whole point of a dry filter is so you don't have to oil it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I understand, but it's not as if it's something to be feared :)! An oiled filter tends to require much less attention than a dry filter. Still, either gets the job done :)!
I agree, someone experienced will generally be fine but someone new to reusable filters can easily ruin a filter if they do not know what they are doing and when they run $80+ most people rather have the peace of mind. You are correct though, an oil filter typically requires less attention but due to the ease of cleaning a dry filter is, I go with them. You can rinse it out at night, throw it in in the morning. Apple & Oranges.

:cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One benefit I'm noticing daily is since adding the duals my gas milage has gone up by around 8mpg average. I had the CAI on for a few days before I got around to installing the duals and I thought I actually lost a couple of mpg but once I put the duals on it seems like the entire package balanced out.

As most guys that have ever successfully built high performance / race cars knows, having everything balanced works best (ex. a huge cam with a small uncalibrated carb and stock headers will probably be slower than what you had) and this CAI with the Borla duals seems a perfect match.

I've been looking at 31-40 mpg consistantly around town w/ some hwy driving looking at the car driving steady (not accelerating or decelerating). I'll run a hard calculation on the next fill-up but what I'm seeing on the guages is significant enough to post.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The on-board MPG display tends to be optomistic. It will be interesting to do the hand calcs to see what MPG you get per tank.

Is this a 5M or a 4A? What is your typical freeway speed?

I ask because I have a 4 spd auto and average only 23-24 MPG via hand calcs. However I routinely exceed 70 mph and I know the MPG really drops off quickly when cruising above 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
782 Posts
One benefit I'm noticing daily is since adding the duals my gas milage has gone up by around 8mpg average. I had the CAI on for a few days before I got around to installing the duals and I thought I actually lost a couple of mpg but once I put the duals on it seems like the entire package balanced out.

As most guys that have ever successfully built high performance / race cars knows, having everything balanced works best (ex. a huge cam with a small uncalibrated carb and stock headers will probably be slower than what you had) and this CAI with the Borla duals seems a perfect match.

I've been looking at 31-40 mpg consistantly around town w/ some hwy driving looking at the car driving steady (not accelerating or decelerating). I'll run a hard calculation on the next fill-up but what I'm seeing on the guages is significant enough to post.
8 mpg from adding an axle-back is highly suspect. I know adding my Tsudo dual helped mpg not at all, in fact, I'm fairly certain not a single mod I've made to the car has helped mpg. However, mods to driving practices have helped plenty. You have to use hand calculation and consistent gasoline source over multiple fill-ups to achieve a reliable measure.

On the positive side, although mpg hasn't improved, the ability of the car to respond to my wishes has improved considerably :biggrin:!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
What intake and exhaust mods do is change how an engine breathes. A properly "balanced" system breathes better and lets the "air pump" that an internal combustion engine really is work better in moving air through efficiently (both in power and consumption). With the current state of vehicles in relation to efficiency, cheap/easy mods are more a trade-off than across the board improvement. You can trade off quiet for power through less restriction. I did.

For MPG, that works in conjunction with the "nut behind the wheel." If one drives better for economy, certain mods help. If one drives quick (like I do), the MPG doesn't improve and may even drop notably. Any mods are also affected by the VVT-i ECU, the engine brain, that compensates for most changes and modifies the engine parameters to match the system and how the driver drives.
One of the WORST mods for economy is a roof-rack. It's significant drag. In that, you trade off cargo capability (and looks for some-:eek: ) for increased aerodynamic drag.

A bit harsh:
Really, if your main point is efficiency, get an iQ or Prius. They are better for that.
The xB provides startling performance for what it is (much more than it should, then again it's not a WRX STi- but it's half the price) and a HUGE interior for its small exterior size.

The Borla look NICE and sounds nice. That was my top choice before I got the straight pipe from the scuba.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Measured the miles against the gas on my last fill up and got 22,2 mpg. That's mostly S. Fla city driving with the AC on and maybe 1/4 highway.
Great bang for the buck with these things IMHO!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ok, I found this thread, but I'm confused. Earlier you said the Borla was adding to your mileage, but this last post seems to indicate it's detracting from your mileage.
Geez dude, people are forever sucked into the favorable estimates provided by the ECU. It takes a sense of responsibility to recognize and acknowledge those estimates are typically illusory. Don't feel disgruntled, rather be happy to learn that it's not as simple as that! Fundamentally, your gas mileage is your gas mileage, and your only hope to improving it is by serious care to reduce fuel consumption via your driving practices. There's no magic upgrade for this, just awareness and diligence for reducing your fuel cost.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
And . . .
Don't drive like me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez dude, people are forever sucked into the favorable estimates provided by the ECU. It takes a sense of responsibility to recognize and acknowledge those estimates are typically illusory.
Yup, that's why I reposted the actual results. I'm new to the Scion XB world and didn't want to post misleading information as obviously the ECU does ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm likin' the Borla duals a lot!!
They look great and have a nice mellow (for a 4 banger) sound.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah, either way, my MPG with the xB is a few more than my G35 S sedan and i can put 87 ocatane in it! Don't get me wrong, giving up 150 HP for 2-3 mpg isn't that great but the functionality of the vehicle is all together better. I'm truly surprised the actual MPG isn't a little better. If Toyota ever gets smart and uses the 6 spd auto from the Camry, I'll buy another new one.

AJ,

Did you ever get the shift knob??? And if so, do you have an auto or manual?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.