Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I was wondering if anyone's done a successful install of this?

I bought the parts but I guess I'm missing the harness to connect everything. I'm pretty new at this car modding business so I'm pretty lost on how to work the wiring for the lights.

Anyone? :O

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I bought the parts but I guess I'm missing the harness to connect everything. I'm pretty new at this car modding business so I'm pretty lost on how to work the wiring for the lights.

Anyone? :O
There are 3 options to wire up the lights:

• as manual "city lights" that you turn on whenever you want to. Ideally they would be powered by your Accessory circuit (same as the cigarette lighter and the radio) so you don't inadvertently drain your battery if you leave them on.
  • as Fog Lights, manually controlled but the switch only receives power when the parking lights are switched on
  • as Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) that come on whenever the car ignition is on. Ideally there is a dimmer circuit to lessen the brightness when the parking lights are switched on.
These lights would likely be very bright, enough to distract other drivers at night. They are originally intended as DRLs and likely won't work very well as fog lights. I'd recommend that you wire them as DRLs.

Assuming DRLs, you'll need to tap off the Ignition circuit (grey wire, can be found under the steering column) and ideally have a mechanical relay that automatically switches the DRLs to be powered by a dimmer circuit when the parking lights are switched on at night.

Remember that since these are likely LEDs that they have a polarity (+ and -) so if they don't light up at first, reverse the polarity.

You'll have to run new wire from the driver's side to the engine compartment and from there to both front lights (or run thru the doorposts on each side then forward in each fender). It will be easier to install the new lights if you remove the front fascia.

It helps a lot if you know how to solder electrical wires. A bit of work? Yes, but it's doable. Check out my webpages (linked in my signature below) for some ideas. Learn by doing!

If you are daunted by what I described above you may want to have this done by a stereo shop or someplace similar. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick replies!

To clarify, I'm talking about the LED lights that go here. They come stock with the 2013 series.

I got these parts so far. Would any wire do? Or would I have to get a wiring harness?

@BrickPig - Your instructions seem really straight forward and I'm confident that I can do those. I guess the issue is just which parts I should get.

Is this similar to what i'm looking to do? https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/15---light-frenzy-2

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Would any wire do? Or would I have to get a wiring harness?

@BrickPig - Your instructions seem really straight forward and I'm confident that I can do those. I guess the issue is just which parts I should get.

Is this similar to what i'm looking to do? https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/15---light-frenzy-2
In my opinion any wire will do, you don't need a wiring harness as long as you can wire in a quick disconnect near the new lights. You can use a 2-conductor plug from a car parts store or Radio shack, like this:

I suggest using 18 or 20 or 22 gauge 2-conductor wire.

In "Light Frenzy 2" see the section titled "The Plan". You only need to concern yourself with the left hand portion that deals with DRLs. You don't need the SPDT DRL switch or the orange wire that goes to constant +12v unless you want to also manually control your DRLs. I used this PWM dimmer:
LEDwholesalers LED Strip Lights PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8 Amp, 3301 - Amazon.com

Make sure to run both Power and Ground (+ and -) to your new lights. Do -NOT- ground the new lights to the chassis, else you will not be able to dim them.

Refer to:
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/ht02---rm-steering-cover
for how to remove your steering column cover and which wire is switch by your ignition switch.

I got my parking light signal from:
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/ht-4---rm-light-control-panel

One way to get from the drivers area to the engine compartment is via the main wire grommet in the engine firewall next to the steering wheel. Another way is via the wiring conduits in the front door posts, then running inside the front fenders. Third way is via an existing unused rubber plug in the drivers door post then along the front fender.

Refer to:
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/ht05---rm-front-fascia
for how to remove the front fascia, it will make installing the new lights a lot easier. Removing the front fascia is daunting the 1st time, but it quickly becomes routine. I can do it in less than 15 minutes now (since I've done it at least 10 times). *sigh*

Good luck! Take pictures and post when done!

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can go to Ozinium lights and look up the section on xB's. These lights fit only years '08 thru '10. You have to wire them in your self. You can "T' tap them into the parking light circuits ( the green wires ) behind the headlight housings under the hood.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.