Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to install 2014 LED daytime running lights on my 2011 XB with dealer-installed factory accessory fog lights. Is it possible to do this, or am I crazy? They don't have to work as DRLs but could operate separately. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It would be easy to power the 2014 LED DRLs using power from the ignition switch. With the addition of a relay and a dimmer, those same DRLs can be also used at night at a lower (dimmer) setting. That's how my DRLs are set up. Operation is totally hands off and automatic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be easy to power the 2014 LED DRLs using power from the ignition switch. With the addition of a relay and a dimmer, those same DRLs can be also used at night at a lower (dimmer) setting. That's how my DRLs are set up. Operation is totally hands off and automatic.
Thanks so much for your response! I hadn't checked back for a while since I hadn't received any replies prior to yours in almost three months.

I'll take your suggestion to my Toyota dealer and see if they can install the lights for me. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a 2014 xB with the LED lights in the bumper. They turn on with the parking lights and headlights. Is there a way to program them as daytime running lights? Or will it require rewiring?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've got a 2014 xB with the LED lights in the bumper. They turn on with the parking lights and headlights. Is there a way to program them as daytime running lights? Or will it require rewiring?
DRLs need to be bright to be seen in the daytime, but if those same lights are turned on at night they are blinding unless they are also dimmed at night. You said the factory LEDs turn on with the parking lights so that means they are pre-dimmed for night time use. Not sure if they can be reprogrammed for daytime use, else Scion should have done so. You could rewire the factory LEDs to function as DRLs but they will likely be too dim to be noticed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a controller for LED running lights on my Xterra that would power the lights when the voltage got over 13, which is what a charging voltage should be. And the controller also has a wire to run to parking lights to dim the LEDs for running at night. Ebay also has a unit that can make the LEDs blink with the turn signals. Will be looking at doing this simple mod with the vertical bumper lights that are the only upgrade the Xb I got seems to have. Controller was around $6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts