Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
If you mean 225/50/16, then:
I have them and plan on getting another set when I get my new tires. As I also got better (stickier) rubber when I changed size, I'm not sure what improvement was rubber compound and tread design and what was the size change.
I am using BF Goodrich GForce Sports.

I like how much "beefier" they look on the rims:

225/50/16 has a very close overall diameter compared to the stock 205/55/16. The 225/55 isn't just wider, but also taller. 225 is the tire face (the part towards the road) width in millimeters and the 55 is the ratio of sidewall height compared to the face. To keep the same wheel diameter, an increase in width also needs a correspondingly shorter (smaller ratio) sidewall.
Look at this chart for the difference the diameter sizes make and what the "best" size(s) are for each rim size:
http://www.newscionxb.com/133-wheels-tires/3887-eddnogs-xb-2-0-wheel-tire-chart.html

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Fit? Should.
Rubbing? Don't know.
Other issue:
Your speedometer will be off my over 2 miles an hour, as the 225/55s are larger, so your tire rotation and forward motion ratio will be off. That also affects your odometer and all the related computer generated info: odometer, MPG, speed, and so forth.

In that chart, the idea is to keep to the green ones (very minor difference from stock), the yellows are not as good (more difference, but so-so OK) and red is bad (error/size difference is rather large).

I'd try to keep to the 225/50/16 or 205/55/16. 225/55/16 is just too far different for the speedo and odometer to be even close to accurate. With the 225/55, when your going 60, the speedo will read 58 and the odometer will be off by over 2 miles for every 60 driven.

When using that chart, I look at the green ones and the yellow ones only if there are NO greens close. The lighter reds aren't a good idea and red, red are the "they make em, but DO NOT USE."

Now, if you can get the computer reprogrammed and plan to raise your xB or use it offroad, the reds could work. But, for "normal" use and actual on-road driving w/o computer reprogramming, use the greens.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Yep.
225/50/16 works fabulous. And is green on the chart . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.