Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
You need some sort of mounting method. The stocks aren't exactly that size, plus they are mounted by a trio of pop-rivets fairly well outside the speaker itself.
A straight-out 6.5" speaker will not really mount well and, if I remember correctly, the holes will be between the air and the edge of the sheet metal. In the front, they are fully inside the hole (just by a bit).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need some sort of mounting method. The stocks aren't exactly that size, plus they are mounted by a trio of pop-rivets fairly well outside the speaker itself.
A straight-out 6.5" speaker will not really mount well and, if I remember correctly, the holes will be between the air and the edge of the sheet metal. In the front, they are fully inside the hole (just by a bit).
thanks, just did the wood spacer with a dremell ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just took mine out to take some measurements yesterday. Here's a picture for reference. I used a 3/16" bit to drill them out and it was fairly easy. The tweeters just pop out with a slight tug and twist. This is the Front Driver's side door speaker and tweeter. They don't look as bad as I thought for stock. They say Pioneer on the back of the magnet too. I'm going to replace them with some Eclipse mids that I have from another vehicle after I make some MDF adapter plates...

Here' the little Kenwood 150watt powered sub I mounted under the seat. It provides just enough bass to keep me happy...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently installed four new speakers in my 12 xB. The 6.5's will install quite easily with an inexpensive (free) plate that came from Crutchfield. I could have just redrilled 3 new holes but I have an aversion to drilling into my new car! I did have to drill one new hole in the door for the adapter to fit but it was a fair trade off for me.

I'm not very happy with the speakers I installed. The Polk db 651 are not the sound I'm listening for, but they are a big leap forward over the stockers. I'm still using the stock HU so that may be a big holdback on the sound I'm listening for.

Gordon

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had Polk speakers in the past and they were great. I was going to use my Eclipse mids in the doors, but one of them had a tear in the surround. Instead I used some Radio Shack 40-1033 6.5" drivers that I had. I installed Hertz 6.5" 2 ways in the rear doors. The stock deck is putting out enough watts to power all 4 speakers and it sounds really good now...

I also decided that little Kenwood powered sub just didn't cut the mustard for me. I took it out and put in my old Clarion APX 400.2 in it's place and bridged it mono and put my 10" box in the cargo area. The good thing is I had every bit of this stuff already in my garage and didn't have to spend one dollar...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.