Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have some free time available I thought I'd go ahead and make a DIY on removing the plastic pieces in the back of the car, along with removing the rear seats. I'm sure there is probably a better way to do it than how I did, so if anyone wants to comment go ahead

What you will need:
A Ratchet & extension
10mm socket
12mm socket
14mm socket
A little bit of muscle.

Prolouge:

First thing I did was disconnect the battery. I would then remove any subwoofers and amps from the back of the car, so that you will have it out of the way. I left mine in while messing with this and it kept getting in the way, so I finally took it out. Scoot the front seats all the way forward so you have plenty of room to work and you're ready to get started.

Next, I removed the back door sills.

These are a piece of cake, you just pull up on em and they pop right out.

Next was to start removing all the crap in the back end of the car. I took out the floor mat (already had it furred), and I removed the spare tire and all it's accessories. The tubs containing all the spare tire accessories are held down with some bolts, you'll need to remove those and then press down on the outside edge of each tub. This will pop it out from where the it's connected to the cubbie piece, and then you can pull up on the tub to remove it.

i also layed my back seats down so I had some room to work. This is what it should look like, I had yet to remove my subwoofer at this point, should have done that first so I didn't hafta keep moving it.

We haft to take the bottom cubbie pieces. Before we can remove those we hafta take out the cargo net hooks, and disconnect the rear seat mounting bracket. I found it easiest to just remove the whole rear seat.

The cargo net hooks where the first thing to go.

Next I pulled up on the rear hatch seal and it popped right off.

you'll notice I already removed the top section on the rear seats. I didn't take any pictures when I was doing it so, I'll just explain it with the picture below.
When the seats are folded down, you can lift up on the bottom of the back fabric, and you will see two brackets on each seat back. These brackets need to be un-bolted, Once you pull the bolt out just push the seat back forward towards the front seats, and they will slide right out of the bracket and be free for you to pull out of the car.

I then climbed into the car and pulled up at each spot that I circled below, and the whole bottom seat just popped out.

The car should kind of look like this now.

Next, let's remove the seat brackets now from the plastic cubbies.

Once you have the brackets removed, pop out the two little cover panels that the cubbie piece has, you'll need to use those holes to pull the piece out. Start by pulling up on the plastic down where the door sill was at and moving your way up and around the piece until you get the whole part to pop out.

Finally start by pulling along the top of the upper piller wall, and it will pop right out. There is a clip on the back part of the wall closet to the rear hatch that you need to pull pretty good in order to get it to pop out. When I did the clip when flying somewhere inside the car.

So now the car should look something like this. The back is all apart and ready for what ever you need to do. Might as well dynomat it while it's apart.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Wow thats alot of work. Now quick question for you. Do you still have it apart? If not do you have photos of the passenger side of the where the top grey plastic goes? Been curious as to why the one on the passenger side is smaller then the driverside. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

Also I find it curious that the inside metal of the xB is not the same color as the outside. Thats something I have never seen before. Usually the entire car is the same color everywhere under all the interior parts.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would like to know if that is "rust" around the seams by the shock towers? I am just hoping that it is a sealer and not rust because my Xb won't last long around here since they never stop salting the roads!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eviljack said:
Wow thats alot of work. Now quick question for you. Do you still have it apart? If not do you have photos of the passenger side of the where the top grey plastic goes? Been curious as to why the one on the passenger side is smaller then the driverside. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

Also I find it curious that the inside metal of the xB is not the same color as the outside. Thats something I have never seen before. Usually the entire car is the same color everywhere under all the interior parts.
It is going to be apart for the next two or three weeks :eek:hno: I will run out and take a couple of pictures of it in the morning when it's brighter outside and get them posted up for you. It's getting the interior furred to match the rest along with some dynomat to silence my exhaust.

Back walls, B pillers, door sills, dash and headliner all getting worked over :eek:

scion said:
I would like to know if that is "rust" around the seams by the shock towers? I am just hoping that it is a sealer and not rust because my Xb won't last long around here since they never stop salting the roads!
I assume you are referring to the circled spots shown below? That is a sealant. No rust there! :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was talking about the part about 2 inches below the shock absorber, but from the pictures it just looks like some sealer. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Awesome! Thank you very much for posting that! I had much of that out this weekend, down to the spare, but left the side panels on. I was able to fish wiring down behind the tail lights and out under the panel and around the back. I have all of the cold cathodes in and will probably wait on the LEDs. I hope to have pictures of my finished project in the next couple days :)

BTW, I showed the pics above to my wife and she said it reminds her of Cookie Monster :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric said:
Awesome! Thank you very much for posting that! I had much of that out this weekend, down to the spare, but left the side panels on. I was able to fish wiring down behind the tail lights and out under the panel and around the back. I have all of the cold cathodes in and will probably wait on the LEDs. I hope to have pictures of my finished project in the next couple days :)

BTW, I showed the pics above to my wife and she said it reminds her of Cookie Monster :p
LOL, yea my girlfriend said it looks like the Monsters Inc character now :D Where did you put the cathodes in the back? I was going to stick some LED's into the little side pockets, but then decided I am just going to remove those completely and build a custom hatch floor instead, easier to fur a flat surface than something with those holes.

eviljack said:
I will definatly appreciate those photos. Man I just hope your scion doesn't get fleas :p
I'm going to go take them right now. Now fleas yet, but I have plenty of blue fur on my seats :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I went out and took a better look at it. It looks like the cubbies are shapped differently because on the driver side there are some additional crap mounted where the hole for the cubie slot is at. I'm not sure what you call the piece the runs inbetween the gas nozel and the gas tank, but that is circled in the picture as well. Because of that, the 'hump' is wider and a bit taller too.

Since the page seems to cut off my images you can see them here too.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/Scionwest/Imported001.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/Scionwest/Imported002.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k71/Scionwest/Imported003.jpg

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I put cathodes in the front foot wells, under the rear seats and in the C-Pillar cubbies. I just got the last thing I need to finish that off & will probably go out and do that on a break. Hopefully I'll be able to take pictures tonight. I had plans for LEDs as well, but it would require taking apart a lot more & I think I'll work out a Plan B ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric said:
I put cathodes in the front foot wells, under the rear seats and in the C-Pillar cubbies. I just got the last thing I need to finish that off & will probably go out and do that on a break. Hopefully I'll be able to take pictures tonight. I had plans for LEDs as well, but it would require taking apart a lot more & I think I'll work out a Plan B ;)
Yea, actually I was surprised at how simple this was. it actually only took me about an hours worth of work to get it apart. Putting it back together will be a different story though. :p
I just recently did my foot wells too.

I haven't done the cubbies yet, I'm thinking about covering the hole and just furring the whole thing flat. Help give the back end more of a custom look. Maybe cut out a design in each covering and stick a cathode back there to illuminate it. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Actually I was talking about the upper C-pillar cubbies. The ones where you can buy storage nets for. If found the answer in your photo though. Its that little black box thats labeled 11R. Anyone know eaxtly what that thing does?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eviljack said:
Actually I was talking about the upper C-pillar cubbies. The ones where you can buy storage nets for. If found the answer in your photo though. Its that little black box thats labeled 11R. Anyone know eaxtly what that thing does?
Woops, miss-understood what area you where refering to. Sorry :lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
is the other side of your spare black too? mine is banana yellow :-/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sovereign said:
is the other side of your spare black too? mine is banana yellow :-/
Mine is banna yellow on the front side, never checked the back to be honest. They're butt ugly :yucky:

·
Registered
37 Posts
scionwest : I plan to install a factor sub at the c pillar. please tell me what to do to take out the c pillar panel.
many thank for your reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wansuie said:
scionwest : I plan to install a factor sub at the c pillar. please tell me what to do to take out the c pillar panel.
many thank for your reply.
It's not that difficult really, maybe I was missing something but I had to remove the lower panel in order to get the C-Piller out of the car, and to remove the lower panel I had to remove the rear seat. The plastics all just 'pop' out really, just give them a good tug. The top part of the rear seat is bolted to a swivel brack, but the lower seats just 'pop' out, give them a good tug upward and they'll come out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts