Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm searching for a new car. i really love the way the xb looks... so i was kinda set on it... me and my dad found one i really liked recently a 2009 model at a good price he test drove it while i rode shotgun because he knows a lot about cars and i dont but it rode ok on smooth road but on rough road it felt like the suspension didn't work right, like it wasnt springy at all when you hit a small bump my dad said 'it rode like a 2 horse wagon and it had a huge lack of power' this one had aftermarket wheels and tires the dude said the suspension hadn't been modified but i dont know. i was wondering what do you guys think about your xb as in ride wise does it ride good, or does it ride rough? and do you feel it has enough power or is it hella sluggish?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well first of all it's a Scion. Scion are mostly street/city type cars. They don't really come to mind when thinking about country like rough roads. I drove through a rough road one time and yes it's very bouncy like. When it comes to horsepower, the XB fits with my driving style. I recently put in a short ram intake so I get a little more horsepower with some mean sounding growls when accelerating. Majority of my driving is on the highway/suburbs/city roads. Think of it as trying to take a street BMX bike on a mountain biking trip. It's just not going to work well. So it's up to you. Scion are amazing street cars but not great for off road.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You say that this xB has non-stock wheels and tires.If these are low profile,they will ride harsh because there is less height and less flex.True the xB is not made for off road driving and the engine is not the biggest-but it is dependable and gets good gas mileage,a real plus with today's gas prices. Overall, lots of room,looks pretty cool,dependable,fun to drive, can be modified rather nicely, and all for a good price.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I too was looking for a car recently before I decide to go with my xB. In its class I dont think anything else compares. We have a Kia Soul too and even with mine lowered on DF210's it rides every bit as good as our stock suspension Soul. The power in the B is also far ahead of the competion. Maybe only the Nissan Juke could compare from what I have tested (Soul, Juke, Element, and the butt ugly Cube).

As Dale said the profile of the tires could have a great deal to do with what you were experiencing in your test drive. For daily driving I won't use less than a 45 series tire for my rides.

Good luck in your search, but I have yet to find anyone disappointed with their purchase of a Scion xB. Too much fun to mod!!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree, test drove the Soul as well. Xb just felt better , more comfy more power and more better. plhhh:cheers:
And way more room. I am 6'3" 225 and very comfortable in my box. Not so comfortable in the Soul. Cargo space is much bigger too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That is one thing I noticed too, the suspension is a little springy on the highway. It has the stock 16" steel wheel/hubcaps. I don't think anything else has been done, I believe it was owned by an older couple. I guess going from a full size F150 to this, a BIG change (still have the truck, but getting too expensive for gas!, when it only gets around 14-16 mpg on a good day!)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I occasionally notice a little "bounce" but mine is lowered on TRD springs which give it a stiffer ride. I have aftermarket rims, but the original 16" tires. If you want something smoother, you'll have to spend a lot more money. With the 5-speed, I've even chirped the front tires changing into second (yes, woman did that), so the horsepower is good enough for me. Also, the xB is rated as one of the safest compacts on the road...win, win.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Springy, not springy. Soft, harsh...... This is all in the eye of the beholder! I came from a van and I think that the xB has a harsh ride with cement for seats. It's all in what you think the ride is, it's a lower price car and it will never be more than that.

I would buy another xB if something were to happen to mine today.

Enjoy your xB.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I like the feel of the xB2 even with the suspension mods and low profile tires. That 2009 probably had some mods made to the suspension. If you can take images of the car (from either side and from underneath...springs, shocks, sway bars???), folks on this site will be able to tell you if it is so.

Let us know if we can be of further help.

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::rolleyes::)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I too had been driving a pickup ('00 Tundra) then became disabled and could no longer use it. Used to be a handyman but yes, the ride is different. This reminds me of when I had a Buick Riviera. It was ~6400 lbs.had 300 hp. and got 6 mpg! in city driving -then we had the gas shortage. I then got a Ford Pinto in 1970,boy did it ride differently,but it got better mpg's so I kinda know about supprises.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the only time i hate the stock suspension is when im on a rough road and it feels like the rear wheels are dribbling/hopping .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dale mentioned the lower profile tires--i gotta agree...mostly. Ours was stock with the 16" steels and Turzana 400 tires (205-55's), i never liked them. in our search for alloy wheels i was pretty set on staying at 16" or 17" 'cuz we live in the snow belt where potholes can swallow full grown buffalo.

Got too good of a deal on a set of 18"s that were fitted with new-ish Potenza RE960's (225-45's), put them on yesterday. The ride is WAY better than the 16" Turzanas. Knocked out about 75% of the road noise too. So...lower profile is generally going to feel stiffer, but much depends on the tire also.

BTW--at 55, i like the ride and the giddy-up that our Box has, but my other car is an MB C230K. If i was coming out of a Buick Lucerne (yuck--like driving an overstuffed sofa) or an Accord (way too normal--might as well have a Taurus), it would feel funny for a while. Finally, we've got a cool set of S-curves near the house--the xB is as fun in those as the the MB. From 0 to 40, the xB would be even with the MB. From 40-100, i'll take that supercharged 4 cylinder hands down!!

The day my wife brought the xB to my office on a test drive i thought she was off her feed--fifteen minutes later i was hooked.

earl

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 2004 Xb 1st jenny scion always rode nice, my 2cnd jenny 2008 Xb was horrible. The roads up here are pretty bumpy & the 08 scion did not do well in the smooth ride category. Just traded it about a 2 weeks ago, For a juke

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks fellas! I thought I was the the only 50 plus guy here!! I like the ride of the xB. It is sorta in the middle of comfort in my line up of cars. My 76 TR6 is stiff as I was when 20, my Venza is "almost" the couch or Buick type ride.

I enjoy the xB with low profile tires although I may change my mind after I drop it a bit.

Gordon

·
Registered
781 Posts
My 2008 was kinda soft with too much lean for my taste, but after adding a sway bar and lowering springs, it was firmer than my '90 Eclipse GSX. After repairing the Eclipse (its death triggered the xB2 purchase), I installed the same kind of sprigs and it was again easily the firmer of the two. Both still have 16" rims -- I hate damage due to potholes and scraping and prefer the taller sidewall contribution to ride comfort.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with Trevor on the body lean. It does seem a bit extreme from what I'm used to. We're taking the box on an 8 hour road trip next week with the TRD springs to get a feel for the ride. We'll be going down I95/85 from D.C. to Greensboro NC. I have a feeling the seats will be the limiting factor vice the suspension.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
IMO the stock rear springs are harsh on bumps. Swapping all the springs to Tanabe 210 lowered the car slightly, improved the cornering and took some of the harshness out of the ride especially in the rear. Most of the time I'm driving solo and I feel the NF 210 springs are a good compromise.

I also have a 2000 camry and a 2008 Sienna. Both ride better than my 2011 xB but of course the xB is much more fun to drive, especially now that I've added my TRD rear sway bar.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.