Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds terrible, I guess the enclosure is too small, it's properly sealed but my guess is would I have to port it on the rear side of the pillar. Has anyone have seen the RUMION one how does it looks from behind.

· Registered
432 Posts
Yeah that space is super small. I really like that but I would put like a 5" speaker in it instead, or possibly ported might help.

What else typically goes in that space?

· Registered
1,033 Posts
scionxbpr: When I was shopping for 8" subwoofers, the smallest sealed air volume required that I found was .283 cubic ft. Most 8" subwoofers need a sealed air volume between .35-.5 cubic ft (double that for a ported enclosure). So it probably sounds terrible because there is not enough sealed air volume in the recess behind your sub. It may help the sound if you remove the entire bottom horizontal panel of the recess, and also partially stuff the volume behind the panel (not the recess behind the sub, but the volume between the panel and the body sheet metal) with polyester batting. At least that way it will act as an "infinite baffle" enclosure, which should improve the bass response. The dicey part is, most subs need the air in the enclosure to work against, so the infinite baffle will likely not give you optimum sound.

markio: Scion sells a cargo net kit you can bolt into these recesses. Regular price is $99 but you can get them for half of that. I ended up making my own. I never use them but I like the look.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good advice brickpig

i like your custom c-pillars a lot. I just don't know if I have the skill to pull that off. Did you happen to keep your templates?
Yes but not worth it the panels just don't make a good enclosure, tons of vibration on panels.

It's pretty easy, just need a jigsaw, wood glue, wood, couple drill bits, screws-nuts as you see in the back side of the picture, vinyl scissors and a stapler. O and a little of creativity.

If you are doing anything else I will post em soon. Freaking big fail for me. At least I learned how important a enclosure is for subs. I might install 2 6 1/2 and a good quality ported box.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scionxbpr: When I was shopping for 8" subwoofers, the smallest sealed air volume required that I found was .283 cubic ft. Most 8" subwoofers need a sealed air volume between .35-.5 cubic ft (double that for a ported enclosure). So it probably sounds terrible because there is not enough sealed air volume in the recess behind your sub. It may help the sound if you remove the entire bottom horizontal panel of the recess, and also partially stuff the volume behind the panel (not the recess behind the sub, but the volume between the panel and the body sheet metal) with polyester batting. At least that way it will act as an "infinite baffle" enclosure, which should improve the bass response. The dicey part is, most subs need the air in the enclosure to work against, so the infinite baffle will likely not give you optimum sound.

markio: Scion sells a cargo net kit you can bolt into these recesses. Regular price is $99 but you can get them for half of that. I ended up making my own. I never use them but I like the look.
Thanks for giving me hope, I was a little frustrated.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Thanks for giving me hope, I was a little frustrated.
BTW if your Sony subwoofer is model XS-GS80L, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XSGS80L/Sony-XS-GS80L.html?tp=111#details-tab lists the box volumes as 0.32 cubic ft if sealed, or 0.41 cubic ft if ported. If ported, the port would be 2.375" diameter and 6.75" long. A sealed box gives a more smooth bass response, while a ported box is tuned to deliver "punchy" bass at a specific low frequency.
Sealed or Ported: the Differences in Subs and Enclosures

You could:
  • salvage this project by building an enclosure (sealed or ported) of the proper volume behind the panel, however getting the required volume to fit within the confines of the sheet metal may be tricky
  • abandon this location and instead locate this subwoofer either under the front passenger seat (that's where I put mine) or put it in the cargo area, either
    • upright above the right hand storage pocket, or
    • in the cargo floor, or
    • in a freestanding box
You can search the forums for how others have done it. Don't give up, treat it as a learning experience!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Followed some of your tips, and I'm having a good sound from it now, I had to place a lot of poluester between the plastic panel and car steel panel so It would create a little preassure and also open the small enclousure. Thanks again.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW if your Sony subwoofer is model XS-GS80L, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XSGS80L/Sony-XS-GS80L.html?tp=111#details-tab lists the box volumes as 0.32 cubic ft if sealed, or 0.41 cubic ft if ported. If ported, the port would be 2.375" diameter and 6.75" long. A sealed box gives a more smooth bass response, while a ported box is tuned to deliver "punchy" bass at a specific low frequency.
Sealed or Ported: the Differences in Subs and Enclosures

You could:
  • salvage this project by building an enclosure (sealed or ported) of the proper volume behind the panel, however getting the required volume to fit within the confines of the sheet metal may be tricky
  • abandon this location and instead locate this subwoofer either under the front passenger seat (that's where I put mine) or put it in the cargo area, either
    • upright above the right hand storage pocket, or
    • in the cargo floor, or
    • in a freestanding box
You can search the forums for how others have done it. Don't give up, treat it as a learning experience!
Exactry, it was the lowest frequenzy 8'' sub that I found. Not a big difference from 30 to 28hz but with the infinite set up I really get the lows.

· Registered
335 Posts
I've thought about puttin my kicker 6.5's in the c-pillars when I get a component set for the rear doors. Just an idea for later down the road. I want to maybe put those and a light in each pillar facing the cargo area. Paint the housing black to match my pillars (plastidipped) and finally be able to see what I have in the back.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
with the infinite set up I really get the lows.
So, cool, you opened up the C-pillar storage box and in doing so you created an "infinite baffle" type of enclosure. I bet you get good bass now. Just be sure not to over-drive that sub, since with an infinite baffle you don't have a controlled air mass behind the sub as you do with a sealed or ported enclosure. Enjoy!

· Premium Member
709 Posts
Check out cdt audio. They are fairly expensive but make good stuff. I had bought 4 used micro subs that only needed .25 cubic feet
These ones only need .2
CDT Audio Subwoofers: QES 820
in my opinion they make awesome subs and speakers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.