Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am about to get my first Scion....2010 xB.....i am thinking of just getting the TRD 19 inch rims and tires offered through the dealer, so it looks fresh from day one......

anyone out there get these? any info/suggestions/criticism is welcomed....also, how many miles can i expect to get out of the rubber?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the dealer told me i will get the standard 16"s too.....thats half the reason i am willing to do it in the first place. and then i can just swap for winter i honestly dont know **** about rims! i priced some aftermarket ones, and with rubber, it seemed to be roughly the same cost....i dunno what to do!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would go after market because you can choose the style, color, size, offset and tires yourself

·
Registered
782 Posts
papad617 said:
well the dealer told me i will get the standard 16"s too.....thats half the reason i am willing to do it in the first place. and then i can just swap for winter i honestly dont know #### about rims! i priced some aftermarket ones, and with rubber, it seemed to be roughly the same cost....i dunno what to do!
Scion policy is that if you opt for dealer rims, then you don't also get the OE wheels, so consider yourself fortunate :)! I'd go by what rims/tires I actually want on the car, the dealer options are just one avenue. Go for what you want!

·
Registered
110 Posts
papad617 said:
so i am about to get my first Scion....2010 xB.....i am thinking of just getting the TRD 19 inch rims and tires offered through the dealer, so it looks fresh from day one......

anyone out there get these? any info/suggestions/criticism is welcomed....also, how many miles can i expect to get out of the rubber?
I got the 19 TRD and I love them! Not sure about oing through the dealer, you might get a better price if you go to a wheel/tire shop and order the rims and tires and also get a warrenty for cheaper then the dealership.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm glad you posted a pic of the Enkei Falcons. I'm considering them for my next set of rims. Now I have a good idea of how the gunmetal looks on a SW.

I'm on Enkei RZ-5's and IMO they look a lot like the TRD's and have a much lower price tag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a couple of minor issues:
1. do not forget the TPMS issue. i.e., to have or have not. Search the site for prior discussion on this item.
2. the add on plastic centering ring needed for some wheels can be an aggravation. If you have a close decision between two choices and one does not need the ring, pick that one.
3. most wheels come with security nuts needing a special adapter. It is a good idea to get a spare.
4. pay attention to the offset of the new wheels, together with position of the outside plane of the tire. It does not take much spacing adjustment outwards to get a water/mud stripe up the side of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its so weird, after someone else above said i wouldnt get the 16 steelies too, i called the dealer again and asked them, and the guy once again said "no, youll get both sets of tires/rims" so i dunno whats up....he also said that if i get the upgraded radio, that they give me the stock one too, which sounds crazy to me as well......

i hope this dude isnt straight up lying to my face to make the sale.

i havent pulled the trigger yet, still tryting to figure out this rims issue....

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
dude honestly, best bet. buy them after the fact, unless of course you want to finance them. Then make sure you get IN WRITING that you get the stock HU and the stock steelies. Cause my buddy works at Toyota as the scion manager and he told me the steelies get taken. but good luck man! the 2010 B is awesome. I love mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealership told me if i upgrade the wheels or the stereo, I don't either one of the "old" ones back. That's why it is an upgrade... you are "upgrading" the original ones (trading in the original and paying the difference to upgrade to the new ones). If that makes any sense, that's what I was told. If they let you keep the steelies and the original stereo... you are getting a deal.

I'm in the process of getting a 2010 xB as well... supposed to pick it up next week, so I have been asking a lot of these same questions.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How much would the wheels cost if you bought them from the Scion parts department? If what they are telling you is true, the optional wheels should be more expensive to purchase them from the parts department since you won't be trading in the old rims.

·
Registered
342 Posts
scion said:
How much would the wheels cost if you bought them from the Scion parts department? If what they are telling you is true, the optional wheels should be more expensive to purchase them from the parts department since you won't be trading in the old rims.
I don't think it matters to the dealership. They would probably charge you he same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Talked to my dealership again today about the wheel issue, mainly because they called me and said the 16" alloy wheels I wanted on the car are now a "no-order hold" item (I believe that's what he called it). He basically told me that means the wheels can not be ordered right now (due to reasons he could not tell me about), but I could go ahead and include them in the price of the new car purchase/financing and they would call me when they came in. I asked how long that would be, he responded with "It could be 2 weeks, it could be 6 months... we just don't know." So I asked him what happens when they come in, whenever that is going to be. He said I could come back and they would swap the tires off the steelies and put them on the alloys (ie. I don't get to keep the steelies) and then put the alloys on the xB. I asked him what happens if the wheels get discontinued or something like that and he said that I would get my money back. He didn't believe that would be the case though, he said that would be a dumb move on Scion's part because that's the only other option on 16s than the steelies. I asked if it was possible to get me into the 17" Scion alloys for the same price, since the 16s were not available right now and he said he couldn't do that (figured it didn't hurt to ask). :D Wish me luck, I hope the 16s are available again soon, not sure how long I can handle rockin' the hubcaps.

Long story short... I've been told on multiple occasions that when you upgrade the wheels from the dealership on a new car purchase, you do NOT get back the original wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ended up calling the dealership this morning and told them to just go ahead and put the steelies on with the 7-spoke hubcaps. Had them take the alloys off and upgrade the stock head unit and add fog lights. The price for the swap was almost identical, so it worked out. I just plan to throw some aftermarket wheels on there asap. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.