Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I'm Caerann, a first time poster/Scion owner from Chicago! My 2011 xB has 852 miles and I bought it 7 weeks ago but am having an AC related issue.

I notice a surge and decrease occurence in the engine with the AC on while the car is motion with my foot steady on the gas pedal. This does not happen or isn't noticeable any other time or when the car is at idle with the AC on. It doesn't seem to decrease the speed but it feels like there's a slip, a power drain (the tach goes up) and then operation returns to normal (the tach returns to previous position) until the next sequence occurs.

I didn't see this problem on the forum so has this happened to anyone else? I hate to leave my car at the dealer and let them diagnose it to death, so any help would be most appreciated.

Pooches garcias,
Caerann

·
Registered
846 Posts
Your xB is new. Take it back and explain your concern. It could be a simple adjustment to either the idle setting or the cpu programming thing. Either way,the problem is covered under warrenty and sould not cost you anything. Leaving it go is not a good idea. Hope this helps,
Dale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like that is what's happening, JRINCON17. It appears to be a drain of power and a surge back to normal ops, kind of like when a window AC unit compressor kicks on and off. First time it happened I thought my foot slipped off the accelerator but paying close attention showed that's not the case.

Never had a car do this before and I'm not a techie so hope I'm making sense..............

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's either the compressor kicking on or the aux fan kicking on. Usually the fan comes on with the A/C to keep the rad/condenser cooler with increased load. But with the compressor kicking on, the idle will go up a bit to help with the extra load on the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all.
I'm going to schedule a service appointment for next week cause she just don't run right with the AC on. I'll post what they say since I seem to be the only one on board here with this problem.

Caerann

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: 2011 xB AC issue

Hey Everyone!

Car is at dealer and they checked the computer, took the test-drive and noticed the surging occurence. They tell me nothing is evidently wrong with the car and it will recalibrate itself. (Mileage is still under 1,000)

This dealer (Grossinger Scion North in Lincolnwood IL) has had 2 other 2011 xBs come in for the same thing, so something for others to be mindful of.

Caerann
Chicago, IL

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 2008 will have a slight engine surge when I'm between 32mph and 35 mph. with the A/C off. I believe that is the in between speed when the lock up converter doesn't know what it wants, on or off, depending on the pedal position.

As far as surging with the A/C on, that seems normal as the A/C cycles off and on with only 4 piston engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.