Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to have the vent blow in fresh air from the outside. I keep the temp on cool with the fan on, but don't turn on the AC. I've done that for years in many cars. Now with my Xb I am having a problem. Unless the AC is on it blows hot air. It must be pulling it from under the hood. Does anyone know where the fresh air intake is? I believe most cars have it between the base of the windshield and the back of the hood.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
It's that vent right in front of the windshield on the passenger (in the US) side. The filter is right behind the glovebox and the air goes pretty much straight down into it from that vent.
I don't know why it would be extra hot, except for it being black plastic around the vent and in the "downwind" of the engine bonnet/hood (gets hot covering a hot engine in a hot sun). As it ducts near the back of the enginebay (just separated by plastic), that may also make it hotter than ambient outside temp.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking under the hood yesterday and noticed 2 screens that appear to be the inlets for the vents. One faces up like I've seen in most cars. The other faces the engine. It seems like the source of the hot air would be heat from the engine being forced into that front-facing inlet when I drive. I think I'm going to put a piece of black duct tape over the front facing screen to see if that helps. If so, then I can find a more attractive and permanent fix.

Before I block half the fresh air inlet, does anyone know a reason I shouldn't? I'm mostly wondering about damage to the fan if it has to work harder to pull air. Maybe I'm just thinking about it too much!

·
Registered
783 Posts
It could be for warm air, like in the winter and stuff?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Chrevis said:
It could be for warm air, like in the winter and stuff?
Thinking of that . . .
There could be a flapper inside there to shift air between the warmer and cooler inlets. Also, there IS a heater box plumbed w/ engine cooling pipes, as that is what primarily heats the air in winter.

Make sure the flapper isn't stuck in a "hot" position . . .
(Just an idea off the top of my head)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.