Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Ok so I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I need help!

Soon after buying my xb, a friend of mine gave me an old 240 watt max amp along with a 12" sub in a sealed box. So all I needed was an amp kit and I was set. So I have installed a few amps in my day, I'm no expert but I understand the basics to installing. I installed the equipment my friend had given me into my box with no issues. It worked great, I mean it added a decent amount of bass considering it was free. Well after several months I wanted more bass out of my sub. So I thought easy fix upgrade my amp to a higher wattage because 240 watt max isn't much and I knew the sub wasn't being pushed to its full potential. So I bought a 400watt max (150 watt rms) 2 channel amp.

Hooked it up bass is much stronger BUT when I turn the volume up to 20-25 the sub cuts off. Thought it was a faulty amp so I returned it and bought another one, same issue. Ok so clearly not a faulty amp. I thought my amp kit was cheap so I upgraded to a 4 gauge kit. Same issue. I thought it was my ground I tried 5 different locations and same problem. Thought maybe a bad sub, bought a new sub, same issue! I redid my remote turn on, it changed nothing. I rewired the box, the amp the sub. I've adjusted gain has no effect on the cut out point. I have tried literally every setting on the hi ten times over. I'm so sick of this problem. Please help, any ideas or input is greatly appreciated

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grey wire on back of hu, I believe it's acc on. Should I try a different remote location? Where did u guys yap into?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amp has a blue led that glows when it's on. And when u turn the volume up it starts to dim and go out completely.

· Registered
185 Posts
that kind of sounds like a bad ground. But if you tried a bunch of spots then idk. I have my remote wired to my fuses under the dash driver side. Its hooked into my cigarette lighter so as soon as I turn my key it powers on.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do u guys ground at? I'll try that. I probably do have a bad ground.

Ok so I read through my amps manual and it says if the led turns red that's protection mode. The amp led does not turn red. It's blue which is power on, but when volume is raised the led flickers until it turns off. I thought bad ground at first but wasn't successful with any of my grounding locations but that might mean my ground locations sucked.

Where should I ground the amp? Thx guys

· Registered
314 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The screw Under the back seat after a 10min hand Sanding for bare metal

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Dude I bet u that's my prob, I sanded it but probably not enough and so when I turn up the volume the ground isn't strong enough...does that sound like it could be the issue?

· Registered
661 Posts
Maybe a simple overlook, ive done it, You mentioned you have one sub with a 2 channel amp. What ohm is the sub, and how did you wire it? Say like a 2ohm sub bridged mono and your amp cant handle such. I had this happen back in the day with 4 jl10s 4ohm worked down to 1 ohm. it was a 25 watt amp but run that way it pushed 400 watts. The amp was rated for such but it kept cutting out as you described. So i rewired to 2ohm stereo for the 4 subs and was all good. But came with a wattage loss.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My understanding is that if wired bridged it produces 150 watts at 4 ohms and both subs I tried were 4 ohms. I've also tried a sub wired on just one channel (non bridged) which is 50watts at 2 ohms and it cuts out just the same.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
314 Posts
I would get a better true RMS amp. Like JL Audio, rockford fosgate, alpine

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that was something that crossed my mind, so i bought a 175 watt rms sub and it does the same thing... i believe its a poor ground that i have.

currently the amp is in the hatch grounded to the floor where the spare is. im off tomorrow so i plan on working on a solid ground. what about mounting the amp under the driver seat and grounding to one of the seat bolts? after lots of sanding of course.. would that make a strong ground?

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I would get a better true RMS amp. Like JL Audio, rockford fosgate, alpine

if i can get this crappy amp to work i plan on upgrading to a better brand but man if i cant get a simple amp working whats the point of getting a better brand lol

ive never had issues like this.. ive also always used an aftermarket hu and this xb had rca outputs but that shouldn't be an issue seeing as others have same hu and amps r working fine for them..

pic of my hu Image Sheet

· Registered
164 Posts
I've never seen anyone with a 12" sub and an amp smaller than 1000 watts. My bet would be the amp is to small to push the power the sub is trying to draw at higher volumes. At lower volumes it draws less power but when you turn them up 12" of bass thumping goodness is a power sucker.

· Registered
845 Posts
I've never seen anyone with a 12" sub and an amp smaller than 1000 watts. My bet would be the amp is to small to push the power the sub is trying to draw at higher volumes. At lower volumes it draws less power but when you turn them up 12" of bass thumping goodness is a power sucker.

I've run a 12" alpine S Type sub off 150w before. It worked ok for 5 years. I'd look at a different source for the remote turn on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
149 Posts
I used to ran my amp under the passenger seat, and when it was there it was grounded to a seat bolt. Now that its in my hatch, I'm grounded on a strut bolt. I'm running 2 10" Pioneer Champions with a 2200W Audiobahn 2 channel amp wired at 2ohms with 4g wire. I set car alarms off with my amp only turned halfway up. Best $200 setup ever! lol but yeah, it does kinda sound like a bad ground but also what size gauge are you using for the sub INSIDE the box? I used to run 18g on everything because I didnt think it mattered but my amp kept going into protection mode and wasnt even hot. Switched to 10g and now I'm thumpin problem free.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.