Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so when I was looking into buying my Xb, I saw one of the fully equiped models that had the built-in navigation. It was too cool, but I thought it was way overpriced and just got the base model radio. When they pulled my car out for me to go home, I was pleasantly surprised that my car had the touch screen already installed! Then I found that the "Nav" feature didn't work. I enquired at the dealer and they didn't know if it could be upgraded or not. Apparently they were switching the whole assembly out when they added navigation for a customer. This was October of 2013. I found through another site (ft86club.com) that the base radio was upgradeable and they listed the PN# ....long story short I found it on e-bay much cheaper than at my local stealership and it arrived this morning!

By all accounts this is a 20min job, but I will document it here in case anyone else wants to tackle it themselves.

2014 Scion Navigation with BeSpoke aha extension box module.

Toyota Part Number: PT296-00140

This is a complete set ready to install in your existing 2014 Scion Pioneer 6.1" touchscreen head unit PT546-00140.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This photo was borrowed from another write up, but it is so good I thought I would include it here:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. It works great!
1) remove bezel around radio...It just snaps off.
2) remove 4 10mm bolts to remove the touchscreen form the dash.
3) unhook all of the factory plugs by relaesing the locking tabs and gently pulling the plugs out.
4) at this point I took the head unit to my workbench (kitchen table) and saw that the module has posts that line up with holes on the touch screen.
5) remove three phillips screws each side to take the stock mounting "ears" off.
6) snap on the new brackets (PN#591-00140)
7) if you put them on correctly (they are marked right and left) you now can replace the stock mounting ears over the new mounting plates.
8)replace the 3 phillips screws each side and install the two that came with the bracket into the module...this makes 5 philiips screws each side.
9) plug the new jumper cable between the boxes
10) make sure the cable attached on the module is plugged into the head unit. (see purple marked photo above).
11) Now you are ready to put the headunit back into the car.
12) At first I did not know where to mount the GPS antenna...then I decided to place it just below the dash on top of the defrost vent tube. The kit includes a self adhesive metal plate that I stuck on there. the antenna has a magnet mount but I used some of the included foam tape and clips to secure it. Also, I removed the upper dash bezel and the gauges for access.
13) replace the wiring harness plugs. They will only fit into one slot, so take your time and make sure the plug matches the socket.
14) *NOTE* both antenna wires will now plug into the new module. ( see purple maked photo above) Make sure you push the connectors on until you feel or hear a positive "click".
15) Replace the four 10mm mounting bolts.
16) At this point I checked the touch screen for functionality. It took several minutes, but eventually it booted up. I have read other places that you may need to reset the touchscreen by holding the audio button down and turning on and off the lights three times. I did not need to do this. Do not be alarmed if the navigation unit does not know where you are at first. You need to drive a short distance in order for the nav to recognize where you are in space.
17. Replace the gauge panel and the remaing dash bezels by snapping them back in place.
18. You're done! Have a cold beer and think of all the money you saved by doing this yourself.

I am extreamly happy with this mod.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Garmin are cool. I have one, but always needed to find it, to use it. (Never wanted it hanging on my window) Plus, around here if anything appears easy to take form your car, theives will smash your window to take it...It is still in the center console of my work truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same system. Are you getting a good signal with the nav antenna mounted on top of the defrost box. I might try this cause I have mine on top of the dash mounted on the right side no wires showing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just did this with mine. I bought a Prius C radio with the Entune module off ebay for under $300. Sold the head unit and installed the module on 2015 XB's Pioneer head unit. Works great except for the weather app.

I just got hooked up with an FRS head unit with the Scion Bespoke module. I will play with it and see which I want keep.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just did this with mine. I bought a Prius C radio with the Entune module off ebay for under $300. Sold the head unit and installed the module on 2015 XB's Pioneer head unit. Works great except for the weather app.

I just got hooked up with an FRS head unit with the Scion Bespoke module. I will play with it and see which I want keep.
I need to see this; I hate the bespoke module's interface, and I hear the entune module is a lot better, but I haven't seen it first hand (didn't know if it was compatible with the 2015 xB head unit). Any pictures?

Edit: looks like it definitely does: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39071

·
Registered
27 Posts
None yet. I guess I do a video or pics. I just flashed the 5.2 firmware, they took out Bing search and I still don't have yelp but I did get Slacker which I like better than Pandora. The interface is a little slow and clunky. I can't figure out what the Etune phone app is supposed to do, ir just seems there to gum up the works and make data connections flakey. I just use a DUN connection over Bluetooth and all my devices seem to work well with that.

One down side people mention, if you are using someone else's vin on Entune, after a month Toyota will cut it off. I have only been using 2 weeks so I can't comment. I do have the vin from the car the radio came from but it is just as to go online to an insurance auction site and grab a vin from a totaled car and register.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just installed an official FRS Headunit that came from the dealer with the Scion Nav system. It's an ebay junkyard purchase. You would laugh if you saw how many tamper proof stickers and paint on the screws they put on it, guess the got ebay screwed before. I'm going to play with it for a week or two. So far I like Entune better. AHA fuel function sucks and nearby leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like the Scion system has more POI icons on the map. I'll probably will turn most of them off. Over all, there is not a lot thats different between the systems. Entune has a few apps that Toyota installs that tend to be clunky and slow because of the slow processors. Scion depends on AHA app which is made by Harmon, the makers of the unit. The Nav and voice operations are very similar.

If you want factory Nav, go to Ebay and hunt down a headunit that includes the nav unit. I seem to find better deals on the combo. People selling the Nav unit by itself seem to charge the same as getting both together, May as well get both and try to resell the headunit by itself to get some cash back. In my opinion just get which ever pops up first, AHA or Entune. Yes I think Entune is better but not by a heck of a lot.

I think I am going to swing by my dealer tomorrow and see if I can get an update for the Scion Nav unit. I tried doing an update with my Entune 5.2 software but it doesn't work. So there is no quick and easy way to convert the AHA to Entune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

I just got the PT546-00140 head unit but for what I understand, I will need a BeSpoke or Entune addition plus a gps antenna addition to be able to have nav on it?

I am about to mount it tonight on my xB 2012.

Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just installed an official FRS Headunit that came from the dealer with the Scion Nav system. It's an ebay junkyard purchase. You would laugh if you saw how many tamper proof stickers and paint on the screws they put on it, guess the got ebay screwed before. I'm going to play with it for a week or two. So far I like Entune better. AHA fuel function sucks and nearby leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like the Scion system has more POI icons on the map. I'll probably will turn most of them off. Over all, there is not a lot thats different between the systems. Entune has a few apps that Toyota installs that tend to be clunky and slow because of the slow processors. Scion depends on AHA app which is made by Harmon, the makers of the unit. The Nav and voice operations are very similar.

If you want factory Nav, go to Ebay and hunt down a headunit that includes the nav unit. I seem to find better deals on the combo. People selling the Nav unit by itself seem to charge the same as getting both together, May as well get both and try to resell the headunit by itself to get some cash back. In my opinion just get which ever pops up first, AHA or Entune. Yes I think Entune is better but not by a heck of a lot.
You're forgetting one major thing... the Entune unit connects via USB to an Android or iPhone and uses cellular data to provide up to date map info including traffic, weather, etc., while the Aha unit does not (you get what you get from the original map data). It connects to the app but will not update anything via cellular. The only downside of the entune unit is that it turns the interface blue to match the Toyota interior (vs orange/red for Scion).

I think I am going to swing by my dealer tomorrow and see if I can get an update for the Scion Nav unit. I tried doing an update with my Entune 5.2 software but it doesn't work. So there is no quick and easy way to convert the AHA to Entune.
I did a huge amount of research into this, and there is no direct way to update aha to entune. The version number would need to be changed (that seems to be the only distinguishing marker) and the installation is hashed and signed, so you can't change it without the unit rejecting the update as invalid.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi all,

I just got the PT546-00140 head unit but for what I understand, I will need a BeSpoke or Entune addition plus a gps antenna addition to be able to have nav on it?

I am about to mount it tonight on my xB 2012.

Thanks!
Correct - you need the module, Y cable, mounting brackets, and a GPS antenna.

Here are the modules you can use:

• PT296-00140 = Scion Aha + Navigation
  • PT296-47130 = Toyota Entune + Navigation (newer version)
  • PT296-47120 = Toyota Entune + Navigation (older version)
  • PT296-47121 = Toyota Navigation only
Other parts:

• The Y cable (if you don't get it with the module) is PT296-47120-AB and runs about $30 on Amazon.
  • The GPS antenna can be generic. I bought this one for $15, but you can get them for $8-10 from China if you're willing to wait a month.
  • Mounting brackets should come with the module, but they're just two metal square pieces with holes to go in the side of the radio and side of the nav module. Super easy to make yourself out of plastic or metal pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the part numbers and all the info!

Mounting the head unit was a breeze and I re-used the brackets that my original radio had. I will look into the modules, as I would love to have the rest of the features for my car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts