Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have searched but can't find the right info. Is our xb prewired to where I can add leds in the footwells easy or do I have to tap into wires? I want to add a 1" led strip in each footwell but I dont want to start taking panels off and hunting for a spot to tap in and I am not going to run a toggle switch I just want it to work when you open the doors I think. I hav swapped out all my others to led and love it but I have never hardwired them in before.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
The dome light wires can be accessed if you remove the driver's knee panel and then remove the silver panel that holds the side mirror adjustment controls. It is a white 3-conductor ribbon wire with red stripes connected to a 6 conductor plug. You can double-check that you have the correct ribbon wire by tracing the path of this ribbon wire up into the driver's A-pillar. I don't remember the exact wire colors, but looking at the 6 conductor plug from the driver's view point (the back side of the connector):

- the upper left wire is constant ground
- the middle right wire is constant power
- the lower left wire is fade-in/fade-out ground

I tapped into the middle right and lower left wires for my footwell lights. I added a switch on the power wire so I can turn the footwell lights off if I have the doors open for a long time. It turns out that I didn't need it, Scion has a power saver time-out, after about 10 or 15 minutes the dome light power is automatically cut (restored by closing and opening a door). Have fun!

· Registered
102 Posts
Well, it seems they've changed it through the years. Nothing matching your description is in that panel on the 2012. However, indeed the dome light does. Shrug.

Were you talking about the dash dimmer switch?

· Registered
1,033 Posts
No not the dash dimmer switch.

If you remove the panels I'm talking about, the ribbon cable is plugged into a box that is mounted on the firewall (the metal partition between the driver and the engine).

Probably the easiest way to find the ribbon cable I'm talking about is to remove the panels, get on the driver's floor and use a flashlight to find the wires that are routed up thru the driver's A-pillar.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
take a look at this topic on ScionLife, post #22, 3rd picture:

push start install (now with DIY!!1!) - Page 2 - Scionlife.com

See the hole in the dash above the hood release lever? See the big white box with all the electrical wires coming out of it? Around that area is where I found my 3-wire ribbon cable connected to the 6-conductor plug. I made sure I had the right cable by tracing the 3-wire ribbon cable up into the driver's A-pillar.

· Registered
102 Posts
Ok, going back in there and having a look it kinda clicked. I was expecting to find them still ribboned together but there are all loose coming out of the black loom above. I stuck the wires into the back of the connector and bink! Let there be light. Routed everything up and there you go.

All three wires are white with red stripe, argh! But your locations on the connector worked as described. Cheers.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I have white and blue LEDs.

I powered my white LED footwell/door lights from the dome lights but also put in a manual cutoff in case I wanted them off.

For my blue LED interior mood/aux lights, the +12v source is the parking lights. So those lights only turn on when the parking lights are on. They are dimmer controlled so they can be set anywhere from very bright to totally off.

I used diodes at each ground switch to avoid current possibly going the wrong way. Not sure if I needed the diodes but I wanted to be sure.

Suggestion for you: If you want, put in a toggle switch on the ground: for Normal, and for Manual On.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.