Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just installed my AEM CAI today. Fitment was flawless, construction is extremely high quality. Not a single issue as far as the parts go on the AEM side of things.

Install *could* of took me under 1.5hrs, but ran into one big snag, the VSV Bracket, the screw that holds it to the OEM bracket. It stripped trying to get it out and was going at it with various drivers for a while. I eventually busted out huge pliers to break it loose (thankfully) and was able to mount it to new intake. Looked like some type of loctite was used for it, big PITA! Stripped like crazy! haha, luckily they supply new mounting hardware :rofl:

Anyway, Once the pipes were installed and tightened, MAF installed, and everything in place I installed the filter. I did NOT remove the bumper, NOR the wheel fender. I did it all from the engine bay. Mind you, im 6'6" and have pretty big arms. I removed the battery during install so I had more room, this in turn gave me enough room to get the filter on down to the end of the pipe, and using some crazy maneuvering I was able to hold the filter on while I got the socket down there to tighten up. Once "snug", I pushed up on the filter to ensure it was seated properly and then completely tightened. A little tricky, but saved me the hassle of removing anything for this. So it is possible! Just have to remove the battery completely to have a chance.

Once install was over I turned the car on, let it idle for a few minutes and then rev'd it a few times to make sure no CEL would come on. I then took it for a test drive and all was well. No weird noises, no CEL, no problems at all.

Overall it is way too early for me to say anything in terms of performance, I only have had a short little drive with it. As far as noise, under 3-3.5RPM the noise is the same as stock, 3.5-4.5 or so it has a light growl. Anything higher and it screams! Overall it sounds good. I think I have to "adjust" to the new sound before I give a detailed "noise review", but at this time, it has a slight "rice" sound to it. But it isn't too bad. I need more time to really get an opinion.

I *think* you will be able to run it as a SRI if you want, but not fully sure. I want to take some measurements tomorrow and see.

And finally, the pics!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Great write up...The install went well for you...If you are interested...the TRD CAI bumper inlet vent is available at the dealer for (if I remember correctly) less then $10...and that makes the CAI complete. I also installed my CAI by removing the battery...and not the bumper.

Brewski

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about getting the trd vent, but I would want to be able to "close" it when it rains or something. I have "sealed" the wheel-well with black gorilla tape so little to no moisture can make its way into the filter area under heavy rains from the wheel. Doesn't seem like much would come from the lower front bumper either when I did "light" checks. Seems like it is a pretty enclosed system overall. I wonder if I could mock something up like velcro or magnets when I want to seal the vent... Hmmmmm :naughty:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sealed? I am not an expert but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a CAI to seal it off from that much needed cold air. Unless you plan on driving through a lake moisture will not effect the performance or the life of the item. And if you are concerned that much about a possible hydro lock AEM makes a great product, a air bypass valve. This allows the air to come in but in the event of water it'll eject the water. I have rocked a CAI for a long time in several different cars and have had no issues what so ever. It seems sealing would take away some of the performance of the item.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I shouldn't of used the word *sealed*, there are plenty of ventilation points in that area and only wanted to tape a "seal" along the wheel plastic fender. Still plenty of ventilation that the CAI will draw from.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After driving it a few days, I absolutely LOVE this intake. You can for sure feel the power increase, especially at higher speeds (such as passing from 55 to 70 for example). It is much faster to react and its nice having a little extra power. It sounds amazing too, the sound really grew onto me and sounds great. Worth the money for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.