Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After switching to synthetic oil, I noticed my engine runs smoother and quieter. Also, my gas mileage went from 25.5 MPG to 26.5 MPG (this is according to Multi-Display Info.).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
erick182 said:
How safe is it to switch to synthetic after 18,000 miles?
It's very safe to use. In fact, you will spend a bit more (if you DIY), however you get many benefits. Better mileage, better protection for your engine (any climate), and smoother (and quieter) running engine. I have used one of the two FREE services that came with my xB2, however, it's sometimes a hustle for me to drive 10 miles and wait for 2-3 hours to get my oil changed.

If you have 12mm hex socket, oil pan, old newspaper, floor jack (or ramps) and jack stands, all you have to buy are the oil and oil filter. I spend $20 for 5qts of Pennzoil Platinum (highly recommended), and $6 for Purolator PureOne (PL14477). So, under $30, you can get excellent protection for your engine, compare to how much some shops charge you, $50 - $70. :eek: .

P.S.: If you are getting high quality oil (like synthetic), there is no point of getting cheap oil filter, and vice versa. Try to not get house brands or FRAMs. I suggest get Purolator (inventor of oil filter), WIX, K & N, Mobil1, and Bosch.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: After driving driving my car for a week, with synthetic oil, my MPG is still going up. It is now at 26.9 MPG! :yes:

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
I asked the dealer about an oil change with synthetic...a whopping $80...for an oil change for goodness sake. I'll buy my own oil by the case and just take the five quarts with me. That way it will only cost the small amount of labor and the filter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hellen4Wheels said:
I asked the dealer about an oil change with synthetic...a whopping $80...for an oil change for goodness sake. I'll buy my own oil by the case and just take the five quarts with me. That way it will only cost the small amount of labor and the filter.
It's true you will save a lot of money, plus you know what's going in your car. I am always worried that dealers or independent shops might scratch my car or put dents on my panels.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do my own I hate others wrenching on my chit. Samn bent the pinch weld wear they put the lift arm to get new tires. I will pull the rears off and take them in next time. Thank gawd I have a pick up to drive.

·
Registered
422 Posts
At what time should you start using synthetic oil? I just got my XB2 and it has about almost 700 miles on it now, I just hear its great for your engine and improves MPG? So when can I switch and whats a good oil brand?

·
Registered
294 Posts
xbam27 said:
My guy at the Toyo dealer said use Mobil 1
Thats what I use it and amsoil are the originators of synthetic motor oil. :)

I use there oil filter too as it is designed to be used with there oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.