Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided against the dealer installed navigation system, I have the exact same nav in my prius. Trading the prius for the box. Now the question, I did a search and didn't find a answer or pic. Does anyone have clever ways they set up their nav system in their xB? In my test drive I noticed all sorts of cubbies, wasn't sure if one of the cubbies could be utilized.
:)
Picking up my 2009 xb tomorrow!!! YAY!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
to me, a nav deck is way too expensive. i borrowed a gps unit and used the suction cup to position it in the far lower left corner of the windshield. i like the portability of the stand alone units and since i only need directions once in a blue moon i can keep it in the glove box until i need it. an option for nutmeg might be to ask the dealer to swap out the units. i doubt that it is exactly the same as the units for Scions are made specifically for Scions.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Do you want it portable or integrated?
How large do you want it to be?
Also, how often do you plan to use it?

There are numerous portable units of widely varying sizes and prices.

What aesthetically bothers me is the semi-permanent ones that are tacked or even screwed into the dash (I don't know if the install is supposed to be that way or if some owners just do it that way, but I have seen it numerous times.)
If you use it A BUNCH, want a large screen, and a permanent install, there is a great spot to interate it into the dash right behind the steering wheel.

As of yet, I haven't really used navigation units and don't own an electronic one.
My "navigation unit" is a map and post it notes (kept in the overhead console) that I stick on that area right behind the steering wheel.
I've also printed out a google maps map and taped it in that same spot before.
That is my "auld schule" navigation system. Upgrades are very cheap and can be found in many stores on the road and FREE general installs for different states and regions are located at state line welcome centers . . .

One of these days, I may get "up-to-date" with my system, esp. if I move to a larger city with a tighter, more complicated street network where looking at a map is dangerous.
But, for now, my system is fine and I use it infrequently enough that it works well enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want a portable unit. I thought maybe people have set up something in one of the many cubbies for easy use of the aftermarket nav unit. I rely on my nav a lot. we move about every 3 years to somewhere we have never been. when we lived in hawaii it wasn't such a big deal, hard to get too lost. :)

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I've been using a Garmin Nuvi GPS for a little over a year. I can switch it between my vehicles, take it along when friends are driving, use it in rental cars and take it in the house for trip planning. It's far cheaper than a built-in, and easy to upgrade as technology improves. I've found that a regular road map is still essential to give you the big picture, especially when you're in unfamiliar territory.

I use a suction cup mount and put just to the right of the rear view mirror. I'm a little paranoid about theft and never leave it out in the open when I'm not in the car. The mount and cable go in the pocket on the driver's door and the GPS either goes in my pocket or in the tray under the back seat...not in the glovebox. I even wipe off the suction cup mark when I remove the GPS.

·
Registered
281 Posts
FYI....windshield mounts aren't allowed in California.

Welcome Nuttmeg...have fun tomorrow on your first day with the XB!!! :cheers:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
nuttmeg said:
I want a portable unit. I thought maybe people have set up something in one of the many cubbies for easy use of the aftermarket nav unit. I rely on my nav a lot. we move about every 3 years to somewhere we have never been. when we lived in hawaii it wasn't such a big deal, hard to get too lost. :)
You might be interested in a mount like the one in this thread, then:
http://newscionxb.com/do_it_yourself/my_gps_mount-t1621.0.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
I found a deal at radio shack . com for a tom tom with bluetooth and a 4 1/2 inch screen for less than $200 last week. Now I get a note that says they dont have an available right now. The plan was to mount it in front of the steering wheel with velcro and have it easily removable. I guess I will give them another week or two then buy somehting else. PS> the bluetoot connection allows you to use it as a speaker phone when driving.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the Tom Tom, bought it off of e-bay less than 100 bucks, I mounted it just behind the steering wheel on the dash. I'll take a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Portable Navigon ($69!) unit. Soft mounted below the shifter with velcro. It is nice to have a unit you can use in other cars, rentals, etc. Once I got it, I realized I know 98% of the territory I usually drive.

MiniBus

·
Registered
4 Posts
My GPS was stolen from my unlocked xB about a month after I bought both. :mad: Fortunately (and unbelievably) it was recovered, but the suction mount was lost. I used the HD velcro left over from my EZ Pass transmitter, and mounted it behind the steering wheel, but high enough to see. It works great- easier to "grab n go", than the suction. Even works well when plugged in. Also, there's no "tell tale" suction cup mark to signal you have a GPS in the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had a nuvi that I switch between our two cars. The nuvi box came with a suction kit (circular base and suction cup/pivot bracket). The base comes with double sided tape. I placed it centered onto the small flat horizontal portion of the dash directly in front of the steering wheel. It's in the perfect spot (centered on the steering wheel and close enough that I can manipulate it without taking my hands off the wheel, nor my eyes off the road); its like a HUD. The circular base is black, so its not so obvious when the suction/bracket is removed. I've received several compliments on its location. Just make sure it's warm when you apply the double sided tape as it had trouble adhering when I tried to apply during last winter when it was below freezing outside. However, I used a blow dryer to warm both the dash and tape, and presto. It hasn't come off yet and is very secure. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so I'm not too worried about removing it anytime soon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a plesant surprise yesterday. After sending me a note telling me that they were out of stock I got a notice that it was at the store. In fact they shipped two with my name on it. I got the tom tom 720 refurbished with bluetooth and it was less than $200. I ordered a special bracket that screws to the dash above the steering wheel as mentioned above and will mount it there. Since its bolted in my insurance says they will cover it. I would still pull it when im not using it or parked since its actually a quick release mount. The unit works great with one problem. It auto syncs with your phone and so you cant take a private call without killing the bluetooth connection on the phone. Its handy and the sound quality was said to be good by several people I called. I considered the Garmin 500 since it has an av input that you can hook up to the license plate camera to see behind you. Just a cute gadget since you have mirrors and I dont have kids playing around the car. If the weather stays in the 70's I have a big stack of other toys to install this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.