Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my xB for almost 1 year/11k miles, I checked the air filter and it looked brand new, however, the cabin filter looks dirty. Now, does anybody know what color the cabin filter looks like when new? Does it have some sort of carbon in the filtering pad that would make it look dirty?

The engine sucks much more air than the blower motor does, so why would the cabin filter look dingy?

Maybe we need someone with a new/er xB to open their glovebox and look at a new cabin filter. Sorry no pics, camera was borrowed by my kids.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
scion said:
I have owned my xB for almost 1 year/11k miles, I checked the air filter and it looked brand new, however, the cabin filter looks dirty. Now, does anybody know what color the cabin filter looks like when new? Does it have some sort of carbon in the filtering pad that would make it look dirty?

The engine sucks much more air than the blower motor does, so why would the cabin filter look dingy?

Maybe we need someone with a new/er xB to open their glovebox and look at a new cabin filter. Sorry no pics, camera was borrowed by my kids.
i changed my cabin filter at about 5k and it was dirty [new filters are white] - the a/c pulls in all kinds of debris, especially if you use fresh air setting...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the time my blower is on the lowest setting, I just can't believe that the engine air filter was white as white could be and yet it is breathing the same air as the blower motor, plus the engine is sucking its air down by the tires/road area.

One more thing, the cabin air filter is cheap as cheap can be! I believe that I will do what others have recommended and cut up a furnace filter then place it on top of the cabin filter.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
scion said:
Most of the time my blower is on the lowest setting, I just can't believe that the engine air filter was white as white could be and yet it is breathing the same air as the blower motor, plus the engine is sucking its air down by the tires/road area.

One more thing, the cabin air filter is cheap as cheap can be! I believe that I will do what others have recommended and cut up a furnace filter then place it on top of the cabin filter.
i will take a look at mine now that i had a new white one in there for a few thousand miles to see what it looks like and report back - i have a feeling that the ones that they put in at the docks when the xB's arrive in the U.S. may be different than the standard Toyota filter.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
yanges said:
scion said:

i will take a look at mine now that i had a new white one in there for a few thousand miles to see what it looks like and report back - i have a feeling that the ones that they put in at the docks when the xB's arrive in the U.S. may be different than the standard Toyota filter.
sorry for the delay - i just checked my cabin air filter @ ~8200 miles [changed it @ about 5k miles w/ a new white Toyota filter] and it is colored dark just like the original one i pulled at 5k, although not quite as dirty as the first one...

so yes, they do get dirty quickly, but unless you notice the air flow diminishing or any odors from the A/C, it may be time to change it :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.