Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the posts on the problems and short commings with OEM fog lights. I'm thinking about installing the Oznium vert. vent lights instead. Why not use the wiring already there for for the regular fog lights? Does anyone know what color wires and their functions that are there that provide power and grnd.'s so I can hook up to them? I'd like to have the option of switching them on and off with the night lights with a switch installed on the lower dash pnl. I'm trying to do an install that doesn't require all of the removal of the front bumper.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm not sure what problems you are talking about with short comings of the OEM Fogs. Mine have worked flawlessly. I do have problems with my Oznium Vent Lights though. I keep having LED's burn out in them. Oznium has been great about replacing them under warranty, but still a pain to have to keep replacing them. The only thing I did to my OEM Fogs, was to upgrade the bulbs to HID's to color match my Vent Lights and V-LED's Switchback bulbs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not sure what problems you are talking about with short comings of the OEM Fogs. Mine have worked flawlessly. I do have problems with my Oznium Vent Lights though. I keep having LED's burn out in them. Oznium has been great about replacing them under warranty, but still a pain to have to keep replacing them. The only thing I did to my OEM Fogs, was to upgrade the bulbs to HID's to color match my Vent Lights and V-LED's Switchback bulbs.
Easy is not always best...I installed the OEM foglights and have had no problem...good thing is that they come with a switch that snaps in and all the wiring is "plug and play".

Brewski

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problems I was talking about was the members that have had to replace the bulbs, and in one case,had the lens on one crack in the winter time when driving through a puddle and the cold water hit the hot lens. The main reason I thought about the verticals was the cost of the OEM's and the removal of the bumper, grills,and cutting the lower grill.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The problems I was talking about was the members that have had to replace the bulbs, and in one case,had the lens on one crack in the winter time when driving through a puddle and the cold water hit the hot lens. The main reason I thought about the verticals was the cost of the OEM's and the removal of the bumper, grills,and cutting the lower grill.
It is true that if you have the foglights on all the time...and drive through a puddle...that the cold water can cause a lens to crack and bulb failure.

For the most part my foglights are on with the low beams...and I've not had a problem yet...but it could happen. The issue is, do you need "foglights" for fog conditions...then the OEM is the answer...just don't run with them on when conditions are not foggy. My understanding is that the vertical LEDs just do not do the job in fog.

Installation, including bumper cover removal, cutting the lower grille is just not that big of a deal...for a "true foglight".

Brewski

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your reply.I was thinking more on your line of thought.The funny thing is that the OEM "fog" lights are more like "ditch lights" on locomotive engines.They place more lite on each side of the train.Most fog lites on the market are not amber.What I wanted to know is if you bought the fogs with amber lenses or did you tint them?
This is the main reason that this forum is important.Someone has a question and others have real life answers. I'm so glad I joined.Thanks to all.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thank you for your reply.I was thinking more on your line of thought.The funny thing is that the OEM "fog" lights are more like "ditch lights" on locomotive engines.They place more lite on each side of the train.Most fog lites on the market are not amber.What I wanted to know is if you bought the fogs with amber lenses or did you tint them?
This is the main reason that this forum is important.Someone has a question and others have real life answers. I'm so glad I joined.Thanks to all.
You are welcome...I have not tinted the OEM foglights...the few times that I've used them they provided the coverage needed. I do run with them in the "on" posistion...but, here in SW Florida it is not very often that it would get cold enough to cause a crack in the lens when hitting puddles...I do try to remember to turn them off during times of heavy rain (no fog) and street flooding that does occure here.

Brewski

·
Registered
474 Posts
I ran my oem fog lights on my previous car all the time (03 matrix), rain snow, whatever

Had no issues with lens or bulbs cracking (or burning out)

I guess I should use something else?
Rain has never been a problem...the problem has been the combination of hot bulbs/lens and sudden cold water from a puddle hitting the lens...it does happen....again it is not an everytime occurance....as for the OEM fogs they come with an on/off switch that is plug and play so you have the option of running with the low beams and fogs....or turning the fogs off...the foglights are only on when the switch is on and only with the low beams.

Brewski

·
Registered
474 Posts
How bright are the OEM fogs? After having my xB for a week, I've found that the low beams are pretty wimpy compared to my old car.

I guess I'm not really looking for fog lights but rather driving lights
I think the answer for you would be to change out the OEM low beam bulbs with HIDs...I'm happy with my 8000K HIDs.

Brewski

·
Registered
286 Posts
I also have the OEM fogs and couldn't be happier. No issues to date. I will be switching out the stock amber h11 bulbs for white h11 bulbs (not hid).

The install was pretty easy. The bumper removal was a snap (literally) and the cutting of the grille was effortless. The grille already has markings (notches) where you are supposed to cut.

I went with the oems after reading the horror stories relating to the ebay oem knock-offs.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I was one of the ones burned by the cheap ebay fogs. the one lens cracked within 2 weeks and the other lens didn't seal properly and got some corrosion. I went with oem fogs on my new box and will be putting in 8000ks when weather permits removal of the bumper. i also wanna pick up a set of Hella dualtones to install when i have bumper cover off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.