Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of creating a one off engine bay cover out of aluminum diamond plate. It will mount to the valve cover where the stock plastic cover sat, extend back almost to the firewall, and forward almost to the radiator. the plate is 24" x 24". hopefully I will have a few pictures by late Sunday night <3/22/09> of the progress so far. Any comments are welcome. Also, I'm not sure if this will be a "SHOW ONLY" piece or everyday.
Factors will be: heat and clearance of hoses.
More to come.....

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Sounds interesting!
I'd love to see picts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
x2, yeah post some pics, can't wait to see it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, a friend and I finished the cover today <sunday> Looks great. I was going to take pictures as we went for a "How to" but (there's always a butt) i was an IDIOT and forgot my camera.man was I pissed. anyways. my friend is machining 2 collar studs to attach to the OEM studs that hold the plastic cover on. the new METAL one needs the clearance for the injectors. I will be posting pics on Monday!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pelly3s said:
i've seen it done before, the guy from killerspikes.com did it to his. it looks awesome
Really? man, I thought I would be the first. oh well. it must be a good Idea.
I also have another one up my sleeve. but I'm not telling. It's a surprise.. might take a few weeks to machine, but it's gonna be a good one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eviljack said:
I was just talking about wanting something like this at the show today. Think you would be willing to make another one if it goes well?
I could possibly make another one, but the plate weighs just under 10 lbs. would cost alot to ship. cost of plate: $50 (Cut) luckily one of our club members has a metal shop and helped me with the trimming and bending. I would have to talk with him and find out. I will let you know.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This sucks we have to wait another day! Post Post!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ENJOY

Pre engine cover

the finished product

one ofthe stud holes

Not quite finisher yet. I am trimming it with red silicone hose <on order>, and still waiting on the custom collar extenders so the plate doesn't sit on the injectors. more pics to come...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like the idea, Maybe a little smaller for me. But I give you props bro it looks nice. Thanks for the pics

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I kinda like it, but am wondering if it would look better if I cut it down to fit just over the valve cover. It is mainly for car shows. I am also going to be fabricating the "radiator cover" ?? the black plastic piece that sits right in front. not sure if it's going to be aluminum diamond plate, or aluminum sheeting. thoughts? I might also be fabricating an aluminum sheet into a engine cover. got a few ideas that would be wild for shows. stay tuned.....

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Idea:
Cut a logo or something into it.

Then, MAYBE, have an LED under it that lights up the logo.
Judges seem to like that sort of thing . . .

·
Registered
613 Posts
TartanJack said:
Idea:
Cut a logo or something into it.

Then, MAYBE, have an LED under it that lights up the logo.
Judges seem to like that sort of thing . . .
i second that motion!

G

·
I agree as well.

I love the idea but I think its just plan old big in your engine bay. Try to cut it smaller or do some type of design with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, after much deliberation I have decided that this project is a bust. I tried a few other thing to make it work (running red silicone tubing around the edge, cutting it a little smaller, different bends), BUT NOTHING MADE IT LOOK ANY BETTER!! :eek:hno: :mad: :mad: oh well...... At least the shark fin antenna looks AMAZING!!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.