Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time lurker on thid site, but as I have just purchased all the components to upgrade my system, I was wondering where you hid your amplifiers.

I am installing a JL Audio XD 1000/5V2, JL stealth box and RF P1675-S seperates in all 4 doors. I thought the perfect spot for the amp would be under the back seat, but there isn't much clearance. i want this system to be as hidden as possible.

· Registered
149 Posts
Mine used to be ran under the passenger seat until I decided to relocate to the hatch directly on the box. I mounted it on top up the box so when I have them flipped facing up (90% of the time) it's hidden. If I had a class D amp I'd pull out the styrofoam that goes over the spare and take a knife to it which'll probably be one of your better options.

· Registered
149 Posts
Class D amps don't care about breathing so you can hide them in places like that without a problem. I'm running a class A/B Audiobahn and the manual says it only needs a 2" clearance to breathe and the way I have it right now almost touching the backseat, it'll bang for about 8hrs before it'll turn off. That's IF you're abusing the sound from it. JL's are some of the finest amps on the market so you should have no problem running it in the spare cover. Also I believe Greg S has his entire amp setup in there as well but he did quite an elaborate job with his and he's never mentioned overheating anything.

· Registered
457 Posts
Class D amps don't care about breathing so you can hide them in places like that without a problem.

Also I believe Greg S has his entire amp setup in there as well but he did quite an elaborate job with his and he's never mentioned overheating anything.
Actually Class D need to breath just like class A/B amps, it's just that they produce more power and less waste heat for a given power output.

And while yes my set-yup was under the rear floor, both of my amps have built in force fan cooling.

I am a big fan of getting as much cool air as posible to your amps. It's lets them work easier and prolongs they lifespan. That being said, under the front seat has lots of breathing room. If you do want to go under the hatch floor just remove the foam piece and build a wood mounting board in it's place for the amp and you'll have pleanty of breathing room.

Just so you can get an idea this was what I had under there that Garry mentioned.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a five channel amp, but relatively small.

It probably would fit there. I just have a couple of problems with that location.
1) My JL audio "Clean Sweep" adapter is probably going to wind up there. This converts the stock head unit's high level speaker outputs to RCA outputs for the amp and flattens the stock "tune". It basically gives full range to both the front and rear speakers.
2) I have been messing around with under seat lighting to provide increased illumination at night. This might cause wierd unwanted shadows.

I really wanted to put it under the back seat...but I don't see an easy way to do it.

I'm thinking I might have put it in the front part of the spare tire well. I will probably cut up the styrofoam tray and add a new MDF section to conceal the wiring and give the amp a sturdy home. I would have rather not put it here because of ventalation issues and the fact that I have crap load of stuff stored in the tray. :) I guess once I get the seat out it will become apparent where I must place the amp.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually Class D need to breath just like class A/B amps, it's just that they produce more power and less waste heat for a given power output.

And while yes my set-yup was under the rear floor, both of my amps have built in force fan cooling.

I am a big fan of getting as much cool air as posible to your amps. It's lets them work easier and prolongs they lifespan. That being said, under the front seat has lots of breathing room. If you do want to go under the hatch floor just remove the foam piece and build a wood mounting board in it's place for the amp and you'll have pleanty of breathing room.

Just so you can get an idea this was what I had under there that Garry mentioned.

Wow! Did your spare still fit under there? Did you run it with the stock floor mat?:D

· Registered
1,033 Posts
It is a five channel amp, but relatively small.

It probably would fit there. I just have a couple of problems with that location.
1) My JL audio "Clean Sweep" adapter is probably going to wind up there. This converts the stock head unit's high level speaker outputs to RCA outputs for the amp and flattens the stock "tune". It basically gives full range to both the front and rear speakers.
2) I have been messing around with under seat lighting to provide increased illumination at night. This might cause wierd unwanted shadows.
Alternate amp location to under the driver's seat is under the front passenger seat, especially if you relocate the front passenger occupancy computer to be above the seat crossmember.

I also have underseat lighting, I just put the LEDs towards the rear of the underside of the front passenger seats. Still hidden from glare, and no shadows.

· Registered
979 Posts
4-channel under driver's seat
mono-block under passenger seat

I was planning to put them under the rear seat too and ran into the same space issue. The 08-10 (or 11) have a plastic tray under the rear seat that takes up room too. Someone said the newer models just have carpet.

· Registered
457 Posts
Wow! Did your spare still fit under there? Did you run it with the stock floor mat?:D
Sure, the spare is under that board everything is mounted to. Stock floor and carpet went on top just like normal. All I did was remove the foam tray and replace it with the amp board.

This time around I'll have two air tanks, compressor, and management system with the larger amp seen above all in there with the spare.

· Registered
149 Posts
Sure, the spare is under that board everything is mounted to. Stock floor and carpet went on top just like normal. All I did was remove the foam tray and replace it with the amp board.

This time around I'll have two air tanks, compressor, and management system with the larger amp seen above all in there with the spare.
Now THAT'S efficient! Lol. Honestly under the front seats is a great place to run your amps, it just depends on your passengers really. My buds ride with me all the time and said my amp used to be in the way because they couldn't stretch out. There's also someone floating around on here that has mounted an amp to his firewall behind his dash on the passenger side. But then again it's harder to access there in case you needed to. I'd say your best bet though is pulling a Greg and replacing the spare cover with an amp rack.

· Premium Member
709 Posts
I fit a half decent size amp under the backseat, but.. I did have to do some cutting to the plastic tray to make it fit.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok...so I decided to mount the Clean Sweep behind the glove box. It looks like just enough room. Then I found that the amp will fit in the upper compartment of the spare tire foam just perfect. So I am going to build a small amp rack (probably 1/4 plexi with LEDS behind) with built in wire management and put it in the foam. Now I just need the time to yank the interior and seats to run the wiring. I'm thinking that the RF speakers will probably install first.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I am installing...RF P1675-S seperates in all 4 doors.
I just noticed that you plan to install the same Rockford Fosgate speakers in all four of your doors as I did in my front doors. Just wanted you to be aware I ended up doing a 3-layer mount to ensure proper sealing of the inner plastic door panel to the speaker. See what I did at
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/17---front-speakers-upgrade
(especially the end). I'm happy with my front speakers but just wanted you to know they are a little oversized and so require some extra install care. Also, make sure that you insulate the tweeter wire connections.

Take lots of pics and keep us posted!

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks BrickPig!. Your install infleuenced my speaker choice. Is there any problem with the depth of the speaker? I see on your revised mounting method you used 1/4" ply for the base...this would seem to put the speaker closer to the outer door skin/ conflict with window?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.