Scion XB Forum banner

How many of you have a slight smell of antifreeze after driving your xb? (2nd Gen)

  • I Smell It - Outside and Inside of car

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not Smell It at all

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What does Antifreeze smell Like?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is Antifreeze?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of our Four xb's have a smell of antifreeze every so often. Anyone else have this issue? It doesn't appear to be a problem other than the odor of coolant. Which doesn't bother me if I know the vehicle normally does this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Frostwolf said:
Two of our Four xb's have a smell of antifreeze every so often. Anyone else have this issue? It doesn't appear to be a problem other than the odor of coolant. Which doesn't bother me if I know the vehicle normally does this.
it is normal to smell it a little, especially when engine is hot - as long as you are not leaking, i think you are Ok ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so 50/50 have or have not smelled it

Antifreeze is sweet smelling. Don't remove a radiator cap on a hot engine to smell it, you will likely get burned when it boils out onto your hand.

I actually had a freeze plug blow out of my ford one night, my buddy on the other side said he smelled vegitable soup, I didn't smell anything, then my girlfriend in the middle said she smelled carrots about 4 minutes later. After that I said do you smell antifreeze and he yells "thats what it is!" after I jarred his memory, about then the temp gauge went throught the roof. but vegtitable soup? carrots? I dunno, not to me.

anyone else can describe it better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Nay its hard to descirbe. Its a unique smell. One of those that dosen't smell bad until you smell it leaking out of your car and then you get sick to your stomach. Not because of the smell but because you realized what just happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
eviljack said:
Nay its hard to descirbe. Its a unique smell. One of those that dosen't smell bad until you smell it leaking out of your car and then you get sick to your stomach. Not because of the smell but because you realized what just happened.
:rofl: :lol: :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I can't tell cause I burnt the hell out of my nose trying to sniff the radiator cap JK. I miss you guys. I been working a lot. I had a pick up that smelled like antifreeze a lot, & the dealership checked it a few times and said it was fine but I dont think that smell should make its way into the cabin cuz antifreeze is poisonous. The nisssan guys just said oh it's fine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Hey Frostwolf,

I just dropped my car off today to the dealership for this exact same problem. I tried to describe the smell that it wasn't electrical smelling(like burned brakes) but more like burned toast. Of course they couldn't duplicate the smell, and said it was o.k. I'm about to go back to the dealership to pick up my car and mention to them if it could possibly be a coolant leak. I'll let you know what they say about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
daisygirl said:
Hey Frostwolf,

I just dropped my car off today to the dealership for this exact same problem. I tried to describe the smell that it wasn't electrical smelling(like burned brakes) but more like burned toast. Of course they couldn't duplicate the smell, and said it was o.k. I'm about to go back to the dealership to pick up my car and mention to them if it could possibly be a coolant leak. I'll let you know what they say about that.
hey daisygirl

if it was a coolant leak, i think you would know right away - with radiator being pressurized, you would see something under your car if it was leaking...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Yanges,
I haven't noticed any fluid under the car, but there is something quirky going on, cuz three of my friends have also smelled this funk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So If I count our 4 cars in correctly into the poll It's 6 have it 11 don't
54.54% so far. I've never noticed a single drop, its just disconcerting to smell it.

THhe other tech is going to take his in for repair anyways, the radio freezes up on him, and his says his brakes slowly give in and let his car creep on him at a light, I didn't seem to notice anything wrong, maybe it was his air-conditioning cycling.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top