Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I took my xB in for its first oil change some monkey scratched up the drivers sill with sandy sneakers. I objected and they offered a detail or another free oil change -- I opted for the detail. The detailer poured a little solvent onto a cloth and did a single wipe over the area and I got down to check on the scratches (idea being to melt the clear coat into the shallow scratches). The first two solvents he tried didn't do the job and on the third the smell was pretty strong, but it worked (the residual fumes were very unpleasant driving home). I'm trying to find out what that last solvent was, definitely stronger than acetone. Toluene? Something else?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Toluene is definately stronger than acetone. Used to use to thin varnish years ago, does some mean stuff to your melon after a couple hours.

Im not sure what either would do to a already cured clear coat though...

Hopefully a body/painter pro can pipe in...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yeh, think you can even get at most hardware stores actually. It might be cut with something else nowadays. Too many morons out there meltin their noodles with shtuff like that

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the sniffin' bull ****. Like you said, I hope someone experienced with paint applications and associated thinning/buffing will chime in on this thread. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, just heal as best I can my recently damaged xB drivers door paint :(! No doubt there are many that can spend hundreds/thousands on such restorations, but I happen to live on the margins :(! If people stupidly damage my vehicle (as in this case), they also stupidly damage me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see my factory touch-up paint is based on Toluene -- and the alternatives to Toluene thinner are Xylene and Turpentine. Seems Lacquer Thinner is available with a Toluene base, but more common is Acetone. Unfortunately, one quart Toluene or Xylene don't seem to be available at the consumer level. Still trying to find my way through this
! Turpentine?

·
Registered
739 Posts
You might want to try and find a Paintless Dent Repair person in your area. They have all kinds of tricks up their sleeve. You may be able to purchase a small amount from them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You might want to try and find a Paintless Dent Repair person in your area. They have all kinds of tricks up their sleeve. You may be able to purchase a small amount from them.

AGREED, I just went through a Hail storm here in SC and I am getting my box fixed using their Paintless Dent Repair tech......I will let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My problem is that some garbage head put a deep long scratch into ny drivers door that fortunately didn't quite reach the undercoat. I' can't afford a door repaint and so I'm trying to reduce its appearance as best I can. I've been working it with acetone and it's looking much better, but I could use something a little stronger to further relax those edges.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Can't tell how long that scratch is but it still sucks. I would still contact a Paintless Dent Repair person. They can answer your question over the phone. May be the best solution. It's only a phone call. My experience with them was outstanding. Had two nickle size dents in my one week old drivers side rear door. Called them and was given an estimate over the phone. Was here within an hour and an hour after that you could not tell anything had ever happened.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't tell how long that scratch is but it still sucks. I would still contact a Paintless Dent Repair person. They can answer your question over the phone. May be the best solution. It's only a phone call. My experience with them was outstanding. Had two nickle size dents in my one week old drivers side rear door. Called them and was given an estimate over the phone. Was here within an hour and an hour after that you could not tell anything had ever happened.
Paintless Dent Repair works great, I can attest to that from my own xB experience (in fact, need two more applications -- hood center and rear roof center), but that's a separate question. My drivers door paint is decidedly damaged, and not a PDR issue. PDR focuses on releasing the sheet metal stress points to release a dent. My door isn't dented, rather the paint is deeply scored/grooved. PDR is designed to resolve problems where the paint is intact, not where it is damaged :(! It would be great if PDR had a cheap solution to my problem, but unfortunately, it's the territory of the body shop and a door repaint in order to match paint. Even then there's no guarantee the repainted door will match the rest of the car :(!

I picked up a quart of Naphtha today (applies to enamel paint) and it seems more potent than acetone when applying to my door. Just wish I could pick up a quart of Toluene and see what affect that might have. Still, the scratch continues to improve in appearance, just wish I had a more definitive solution :(! Hanging the perpetrator would surely help :)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.