Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I test drove a new XB a few days ago and I felt that the steering wheel was too far away and too small. I don't know if I was really just too far and so that's why I felt this way, or if that's just how it is.

Has anyone felt this way, and has anyone found any fixes? I really like the XB, but I want to LOVE the XB!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not sure about the "small" part as it's a very common size wheel but if the one you drove was a 2011 or newer, they have telescoping/tilt wheel so you can pull it towards you. It might have been all the way pushed in. If a 2010 model or older, they don't offer that feature.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I don't mind the steering wheel, although I find when holding it at 9 and 3 during my advanced road test the other day it got pretty uncomfortable. Luckily I don't have to drive like that all the time

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had it all the way out and it still seemed too far away. It probably seemed small because I felt further away.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
In alberta when your 14 and older you get your learners license where you have to be with someone above 18 to drive.
When your 16 and older have had your learners for at least a year you can do a test to get a graduated license where you only have 8 demerits and a 0% alcohol level.

When your 18 and over and have had your gdl license (above) for 2 years I believe you can do an advanced road test to get the gdl taken off so you can then have 15 demerit points and 0.05% alcohol level.

I am 19 close to 20 and have just done my test late since I lost my license for a month due to 3 speeding tickets when I was 18.
You have to have a a good driving record for at least a year before you take your advanced so I had to wait a year after I lost it.

The advanced is basically just like any other driving test, they just take you around and you have to park different ways and they just watch the way you drive. BUT you are supposed to keep both hands on the wheel at 9 and 3

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
When I first got the B, the wheel felt "truck-like" to me. Well, as I was used to a Miata with a sized-down Grant wheel (looks like 1960s race car, specifically the love-child of a Lotus 25/33 F1 car and Lotus Elan -26 model, not modern one). So, it seemed big to me.
After near 5-years of ownership, it seems natural now, having never really bothered me since new.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
2011+ has teliscopic and level adjust on the wheel. I do think it could be bigger

·
Registered
842 Posts
The wheel position of "3 and 9" is the new correct position. Because of the air bag, if you hold the wheel the old position of "10 and 2" and it goes off, it could break your thumbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The wheel size and placement are OK with me....but I hate the rough, sun-dried-snake FEEL of the thing. Will be glad when 5 yrs have passed and it is worn smooth. I don't do much rally driving going to the grocers - so it ain't gonna get away from me on a blind 80MPH turn in the parking lot. The leather wrap is not an option for me - looks goofy as it's stiched on around the spokes and now you feel the stiches, and it just makes it fatter. Have been looking at my palm sander and that wheel surface......no, better not.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You could always drop a few hundred to buy the Scion sport steering wheel which is leather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could always drop a few hundred to buy the Scion sport steering wheel which is leather.
I'm driving a 25 yr old Jetta (new xB is the wife's) which is worth slightly less than a new leather covered steering wheel from the Scion folks. I found that leather gloves are cheaper .....& I feel l like Jim Clark!

·
Registered
9 Posts
wheel placement is perfectly fine, if a bit bus-like... the main problem is the fact that it the rim itself is not wrapped in leather for better feel and general sense of quality as opposed to the cheapness of plastic. over the course of a long drive, that extra cushioning lends itself to giving the driver less fatigue.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
I'm driving a 25 yr old Jetta (new xB is the wife's) which is worth slightly less than a new leather covered steering wheel from the Scion folks. I found that leather gloves are cheaper .....& I feel l like Jim Clark!

WOOHOO!!!!!
Some one who knows WHO JIM CLARK IS!!!!

(My Miata is painted Lotus Racing Green w/ Lotus Racing Yellow stripe partially in tribute to the great Scotsman)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I never found it small, I would love to have it a little higher.. and a little flatter, I like using the heel of my palm like in a truck or a bus to make low speed turns around parking lots and whatnot... though I might be a little weird that way.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I don't hate it but it could have better looks and a little more movement. I do like the feedback and resistance feeling to the wheel.

...but I hate the rough, sun-dried-snake FEEL of the thing. Will be glad when 5 yrs have passed and it is worn smooth.

• I noticed this difference right away when test driving also but I actually really like the feel since it's easy to grip, though it's definitely anti-luxury like in that respect. The option steering wheel does look nicer. But it would surely wear out quicker also.
  • Mine does telescope but it would be nice if it telescoped out just a little more.
  • It doesn't tilt down very much at all. This is a problem with telescoping because as you pull it out more, it goes higher. In the past I have been used to having my steering wheels a little closer to the vertical plane and a little closer to me and slightly lower and this was actually the biggest comfort negative for me in the car. I've adjusted the seat to sit more forward than I usually do to help a bit and I'm pretty much used to it now. I guess I have longer legs and arms than most maybe.
I guess that's the exact opposite of juddsandage :) I prefer vertical and low and he says flat and high.

The wheel position of "3 and 9" is the new correct position. Because of the air bag, if you hold the wheel the old position of "10 and 2" and it goes off, it could break your thumbs.
You can't hold it "3 and 9" technically. It's pretty much 10 and 2.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Anyone have a photo of the Tc steering wheel with the Xb airbag and controls? I want to see how bad the misalignment issue is with the control surface.
Wouldn't you just keep the controls that are in the tC steering wheel?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts