Scion XB Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Soooooo! The good news is the steering wheel itself is a direct swap. The controls for volume, mode, seek work and the controls for voice recognition, call answer and end work too!!!!, but! The rav 4 controls have just enough of a different inner shape that the xb airbag won't fit. So if you are down for a $90 leather steering wheel, get it. If it's going to drive you crazy that you just have to have the phone controls too, you will need a rav4 airbag.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
448 Posts
Soooooo! The good news is the steering wheel itself is a direct swap. The controls for volume, mode, seek work and the controls for voice recognition, call answer and end work too!!!!, but! The rav 4 controls have just enough of a different inner shape that the xb airbag won't fit. So if you are down for a $90 leather steering wheel, get it. If it's going to drive you crazy that you just have to have the phone controls too, you will need a rav4 airbag.

Just a thought on this - the xB2 airbag sells for more on eBay than the RAV4 airbag does (just looking at sold auctions recently)... You could probably sell your old airbag and pick up the RAV4 airbag and actually make a few bucks of profit. Connectors on the airbag itself look the same...

Edit: I'm stupid, just realized what you were saying - you can use the xB2 controls and xB2 airbag on the RAV4 wheel; you just can't use the RAV4 controls and xB2 airbag on the RAV4 wheel. So it's the same controls, but you get the nice leather upgrade out of it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Just a thought on this - the xB2 airbag sells for more on eBay than the RAV4 airbag does (just looking at sold auctions recently)... You could probably sell your old airbag and pick up the RAV4 airbag and actually make a few bucks of profit. Connectors on the airbag itself look the same...

Edit: I'm stupid, just realized what you were saying - you can use the xB2 controls and xB2 airbag on the RAV4 wheel; you just can't use the RAV4 controls and xB2 airbag on the RAV4 wheel. So it's the same controls, but you get the nice leather upgrade out of it.
Bingo!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sooooo. I was looking at Toyota Japans website just to see what's new over there and I saw the Scion Xd being sold as the Urban Cruiser. It has the same steering wheel as The US Model but includes the phone controls on the right panel. Anyone know how to go about getting this part? Used or new I don't care, but now I'm obsessing!!! Lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
The wheel size and placement are OK with me....but I hate the rough, sun-dried-snake FEEL of the thing. Will be glad when 5 yrs have passed and it is worn smooth. I don't do much rally driving going to the grocers - so it ain't gonna get away from me on a blind 80MPH turn in the parking lot. The leather wrap is not an option for me - looks goofy as it's stiched on around the spokes and now you feel the stiches, and it just makes it fatter. Have been looking at my palm sander and that wheel surface......no, better not.
Size and style is fine for me but I agree I HATE the grip feel! I bought a steering wheel cover and although it may sound cheap it actually looks good and most importantly improves the feel 100%. Cheapest best upgrade I could've done. I don't mind the pull on cover and like it now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
when I first got in the xB I thought the steering wheel was incredibly small, logitech sized, I think my last cars just had the big diesel truck wheels that was popular in the 90s

21 - 32 of 32 Posts