Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some hardwire LED's for the interior of my box. They need to be hardwired, but if I just hardwire they will be on all the time. Has anyone installed a switch that could show or give step by step? Pics?

Thanks in advance ya'll rock!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I don't have pics of the installation, but here are a couple of threads that might help:

http://newscionxb.com/audio_electronics/addacircuit-t574.0.html

http://newscionxb.com/member_pics/my_nautical_blue_xb-t33.0.html;msg3936#msg3936

The first thread covers where to get power from if you want constant power from the fuse panel, controlled by a switch. The second thread covers where to run wires and ground.

Depending on if you want a lighted switch or not, you will run two or three wires to it, the difference being a lighted switch needs to be grounded. So you'll have power running to one terminal on the switch, then from the other terminal to the lights. The lights will need to be grounded off the other lead.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric, THANK YOU! We are having so much fun doing little mods to our box. Ours is a daily driver so most of the mods I have done are to make it aesthetically pleasing to me :) But it sure is addicting! Gotta sell more Avon so I can do more mods LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :eek: :naughty:

·
Registered
144 Posts
What is cool also. Is you can relocate your traction control switch over next to the shifter and then have 3 blank spots all by themselfs over on the left hand side of the steering wheel. If you look at this pic you can see that I moved the traction control switch over there. See if you can figure out what else is different in the pic. LOL

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that's cool. You changed the HVAC controls too. That's awesome. I just got the neowedge bulbs to do the HVAC lights...but still have to figure out how to do it LOL

·
Registered
94 Posts
AvonLadyJenn said:
Wow that's cool. You changed the HVAC controls too. That's awesome. I just got the neowedge bulbs to do the HVAC lights...but still have to figure out how to do it LOL
Where do you order those, may I ask? I was thinking about trying to find a turquoise for mine. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got them from autoillumination.com. Get the ones that say they are 30% brighter. You need the Neowedge B ones :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back on this...does anyone have a DIY for installing a switch? I need to add 2. One for exterior Red lights and one for blue interior. Thinking of putting the blue next to the shifter and the red over by the traction control.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Did you get this figured out yet Jenn? If not I might be able to do one for you. Do you want the switches to come on with the key or without. I have all my switches work without the key on. I do not like leaving the key in the ignition at shows. I see alot of people do it. Just not my deal there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Limitz Ind said:
Did you get this figured out yet Jenn? If not I might be able to do one for you. Do you want the switches to come on with the key or without. I have all my switches work without the key on. I do not like leaving the key in the ignition at shows. I see alot of people do it. Just not my deal there.
Jeremy, didn't figure it out yet. Had a friend do the LED's for the outside, but I have to have the key on to make them work and would prefer not to have to use the key. Still have to do the interior blue lights on a switch so if you have a DIY I would so appreciate it. Like you I would prefer them to work without the key....so not sure what we did wrong on the exterior switch. And we have to do the interior switch next :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ladies...DO try this at home!!

I had some fun installing my LEDs this afternoon. Not difficult at all thanks to the tutorials and DIY's I read on a bunch of Scion forums. Just took a bit of courage to pop off the various panels.

I ordered up some LED flex strips and a red LED rocker switch from Oznium. Bought an Add A Circuit from Autozone. Wire, crimpers, connectors, etc, I had on hand.

I used a Dremel and a steady hand to mount the switch into the knockout. Just gotta measure and center it before you start boring out the hole. Only difference between a lit switch and a regular switch is that you need to ground it. It's easy.

I decided to put my switch on the knockout next to the gear shift. I think it looks nice when it's lit up at night. Slot #27 on the fuse box gives constant power so I can light the LEDs without the key in the ignition.

I wrapped a flathead screwdriver in a rag and pried loose the clips to pull this piece up.

I fed the wiring up from below and behind, and on up to the right side of the gear shifter.

Side view of the area where I fed the wires up.

My wires look pretty messy but I gave myself extra slack in case I messed up.

Blurry pic but you get the idea.

The back passenger footwells are connected to the switch too.

My wires were grounded to the left of the driver footwell.

Okay so there are four flex strips and one LED switch in the Bento Box now.

Next up...add a few SuperFlux LEDs for the cupholders and the C-Pillar cubbies.

·
Registered
613 Posts
nice job! i gotta get me some of those LEDs they look crazy bright!

·
Registered
254 Posts
So thats the led switch from onzium? I heard they don't fit in the knockout...does it? Can you get a close up pic of the switch installed?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.