Scion XB Forum banner

Anyone tow with their XB

29K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  John Leathers 
#1 ·
My buddy called me about putting a tow bar on his 2012 xb and my response was why the whole rear is plastic and low to the ground. Just wondering if he fell off the truck or did I:eek::clown:

#4 ·
One of the other members posted some info based on the Australian version of these cars, and it has a 1000 lb total tow capacity there.... but not here. Same everything else.... same engine, same Transmission..... just different tow capacities.... Keep in mind, that capacity includes the weight of any and every thing being towed, including the trailer weight.... A light weight trailer and whatever is on it, is probably going to do nothing more than kill your Fuel economy.... But don't take my word for it..... look around at available trailer hitch set-ups..... they're actually pretty nice too.

#5 ·
I tow my 7x4 trailer & dirt bike with my rukus no problems. It useses bit more fuel but sits on speed limit as if you didn't have the trailer there.

The Aussie tow bar sits under the bar and then loops up, it's a nice hidden arrangement.

It's rated at 500kgs (don't know wat lb is?) It's weird because the corolla is rated at 1100kgs and its the same car? Think it's something to do with floor arrangement, the rukus has a space saver spare because of the storage were the corolla has a full size spare.

#9 ·
A lot of practical use depends on terrain. A flat surface is easier on a tranny than an uphill. If your talking about driving up a mountain road or in the mountains in general, keep the wight lower.
Around where I am, I aim at 1000 pounds (allow a bit of leeway of underestimate), which really isn't much . . .

#10 ·
Back in the summer we were at the river fueling up at the marina and some guy whipped in with a couple of jet skis in tow. I waited and watched and it seemed to have no problem. When he got to the fuel dock to fill the jet skis I asked him about it. He said it pulled no trouble unless the hills were steep. He said they were 2300 something lbs.. can't remember exact weight... and it pulled as good or better than his Jeep Wrangler.

I don't know if I would do it myself though... Once we load up for a weekend at the river... she's pretty loaded dowwwwwwwwwn.

#12 · (Edited)
Correct.
If I was Yota, I'd say the EXACT same thing.

The tow weight is derived from that recommended for the Aussie market Rukus, which is identical in frame/shell and engine (2.4) to the US version. So, their limits would be the same.

Tow at YOUR own risk!

#13 · (Edited)
2012 Scion xB Towing

I added an etrailer hitch to my manual transmission Scion xB to pull a small popup camper. Also added a brake controller and fully loaded it weighs around 1,500 pounds. Been pulling it for the last couple years and have had no problems whatever. Here in the USA, Toyota says the Scion xB isn't rated to tow, but if you check in Australia, the same car is rated to tow... Go figure. Works for me, that's all I know.
I added an etrailer hitch to my manual transmission Scion xB to pull a small popup camper. Also added a brake controller and fully loaded it weighs around 1,500 pounds. Been pulling it for the last couple years and have had no problems whatever. Here in the USA, Toyota says the Scion xB isn't rated to tow, but if you check in Australia, the same car is rated to tow... Go figure. Works for me, that's all I know.[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.