Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
I bought one direclty from ssuperstore.com. I have a thread on it on scionlife: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=239875

It sounds very mellow and may not be noticeable to some people. The sound is mostly noticleble when starting the car and coasting to a stop with the RPMs dropping below 2k, or when engine braking. You actually don't hear much at all when accelerating. You can hear a little rumble at idle and a little more when the A/C is on. It has gotten louder with more miles. I only have about 350 miles on it now.

I actually really like it for the price. The welds on mine are better than the picture on eBay (or at least in a better location). But the tip is much cheaper looking than the one in the eBay/ssuperstore ads. I have a Magnaflow 35175 tip on the way and hope to get it welded up this weekend. It will look better than the stock tip and still be way less expensive than other exhausts on the market. Plus it'll have a little custom touch.

Other options would be the Borla single exhaust for $249ish. That's the only bolt-on option that comes clost in price. The Borla looks like it's higher quality though, but it's really just a pipe with a nice tip.

In retrospect, I might have spent a little more and gotten the Borla ($250) or Tanabe Medallion ($329), but I would have still changed the tip. I don't like round tips on our cars because there is no notch in the bumper to at least surround half of the pipe. I think a flat style tip looks best if it's just hanging under the bumper.

· Registered
38 Posts
Here's a pic of the tip that came welded on this exhaust. As you can see it looks pretty cheap and the opening is narrower than the pipe, so it seemed a little restrictive.

I had a new Magnaflow 35175 tip welded on that looks much nicer.

Then I needed to decide whether or not I wanted to paint the inside black.

I liked the black better so I did painted it with VHT header paint. I also raised the whole exhaust (not pictured) so that it's now hanging about 1/4" from the bottom of the bumper.

· Registered
613 Posts
It looks pretty damn good if you ask me...How does it sound?

· Registered
38 Posts
JOEY G-xB said:
It looks pretty damn good if you ask me...How does it sound?
Thanks! I think the new tip totally gives the exhaust a quality look, especially when you compare it to the tip it came with. The sound is deep and mellow. In the cabin you will not hear it past 2k RPM. So you only really hear it when slowing down to stop or cruising between 35-45 mph (in 4th gear with the auto trans). It's loudest at 1500 RPM. I visited my parents, who live at the bottom of a hill last week and my mom said I drive like a maniac. I came down that hill in 3rd gear and just coasted it. I wasn't driving fast at all, but if you use engine braking while coasting downhill the exhaust will drone a bit. I guess it's loud from the outside under those conditions.

Here's a video (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_yzWNegBE

I've talked to the guy on another forum. He also changed the tip (not seen in the video).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.