Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else hearing rumors that the long reported iCar idea might be actually made based upon the xB and in agreement with Scion/Toyota?

Previously, I recall discussions had taken place (to some extent) with VW to use a Beetle as the base.

Anyone know more than I do?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric said:
A quick search only found mentions of a VW / Apple iCar...
Me too. BUT, I have been "informed" be several mac-fanatic friends that Apple has shifted the iCar efforts to Scion and will be using an xB. Unrelated people have said it like it was authoritative.
I am seeing if anyone on the Scion-side has heard ANYTHING.

I'm not sure if it is true, though think that such would be very cool.

Their stories are consistent, down to the color scheme, so I suspect a common source. However, I have yet to find one openly on-line. It might be protected (if real) or might be some mac-forum wish/fantasy.

I'll just say that the colors I was told was a combo of silver (exterior and interior trim pieces), black, and white, with several Apple logos. I have NO solid confirmation of ANYTHING.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cnstarz said:
haven't they already produced an Apple/VW concept? why would they spend that money and then throw their plans away to go with another company?
Precisely a question I have. Oh, and I don't know of a concept actually tagged as an Apple, though a couple got VERY close.
I ask because my mac-army friends hear I got an xB and they immediately tell me that Apple has shifted their efforts to Scion and plan to use the xB as the base for the car.
The stories are VERY similar, enough to make me wonder about any validity behind it.
-Again, I have seen NOTHING saying that Scion and Apple are planning ANYTHING beside the radio iPod feature.

Advantages of VW: "cool" design and international market. Seen as "German"
Disadvantage of VW: not known for long-term reliability and as "problem free" over the last 20 years. Seen as German.
--I had a VW Vanagon for close to a decade and my sister presently has a Jetta.

Advantage of Scion: "cool," but different design, heavily equipped for price, "emotional" ties to "Japanese"-> technologically advanced and "high-tech," and drives like a "scalded cat."
Disadvantage: mostly (as far as I can tell) US and Japanese market aim.
(Not sure if the Japanese associations would be an issue now-a-days.)

On being on the "economy" side of the market, the VW was also in (basically) the same market bracket. For either line, it would be an "up market" special model/version of the "basic" car.

Also, VW hasn't exactly been "stable" in their upper tiers over the last few years . . .
-- I wonder what the various leadership teams felt about the concept with Apple.

I'm curious if the "iCar" will EVER get produced at all, if it is a unique model or a "special edition" of an existing one, or what company it would be sold by or both . . .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Considering that all of Apple's (and every other tech giant's) new gadgets start out in Japan first, It wouldn't surprise me if the iCar was a Japanese brand which starting in Japan first.

·
Registered
347 Posts
eviljack said:
What the hell would be an iCar anyways? And would you only be able to buy it from AT&T and the apple store?
Good point. And then, after the first group rush out to get theirs to be one of the first to drive one, Apple will bring out an updated version and cut the price. :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.