Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted this mod yet? I absolutely love the way it looks, but the thought of tapping into wires scares me. Also, there are so many led strips on the market now, I don't know what brand would be the best to go with. Eventually, I want to get white switch back led turn signal lights, these led strips and the oznium vent lights to all come on at the parking light setting and stay on at the headlight setting. Thoughts/opinions??

Here's an example...
WHITE 24" LED SIDE SHINE HEADLIGHT STRIP LIGHTS DRL #B5 | eBay

·
Registered
152 Posts
Has anyone attempted this mod yet? I absolutely love the way it looks, but the thought of tapping into wires scares me. Also, there are so many led strips on the market now, I don't know what brand would be the best to go with. Eventually, I want to get white switch back led turn signal lights, these led strips and the oznium vent lights to all come on at the parking light setting and stay on at the headlight setting. Thoughts/opinions??

Here's an example...
WHITE 24" LED SIDE SHINE HEADLIGHT STRIP LIGHTS DRL #B5 | eBay
I have seen a set of Lights for the strips under the xD headlights.... but not for the xB yet. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Just haven't seen them yet. I don't see why you couldn't do the same things with the B. Just take your time and work out the details and do proper research to get GOOD equipment and go for it.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've done this. I added 12 type 5050 white LEDs via a strip in each front "cheek" vent to act as DRLs. 5050 LEDs are actually 3 LEDs combined into one and so they are pretty bright. Like the auction says, they are typically brighter than other types, including type 3528.

I have 5050, 3528, and 0603 type LEDs on my box. For my DRLs I paid about $7 for a strip of 30 type 5050 LEDs on a 50cm strip, which of course is 60 LEDs per meter. Some 3528 type LEDs can be packed even more densly.

So do I like it? Well, in low light conditions and especially at night, it's awesome. However in full sun it's...underwhelming. At times in full sun it's hard to tell if they are even on. That's why I haven't posted this mod on my website (yet) I'm still waiting for one last component to arrive. But now with this spoiler, maybe I'll post to my website a bit sooner.

So Hotbox, I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. If you want the LED strips to act as real DRLs (seen in full sun), they won't. But if you want the LEDs to let you be seen and noticed at dusk and at night, they work well.

BTW I have my DRLs powered via an Ignition wire, with a relay and a dimmer to put out less light when the parking lights come on. Full details will be on my next website entry, which should be in a week or two.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input everyone! Since I don't use my lights unless it's dark out, I don't mind that they can't be seen in full sunlight. I think I will do the vent lights and the leds under the headlights at the same time, since I want them both wired into the parking lights and they are relatively close together. I will post pics as soon as its done!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got some V LEDs and mounted them under my headlights, now I need to figure out how to wire. I want them to come on with parking lights but don't want to tap into cars wires. Not much of an electrical guy, so anyone have an easy hook up:biggrin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You will have to either tap into the switch or the wire to get what you want. Just use wire taps, you will not have to cut into the wire and they are EASY to install/remove. Here is a link : Quick Splice Wire Connectors | WiringProducts.com

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will have to either tap into the switch or the wire to get what you want. Just use wire taps, you will not have to cut into the wire and they are EASY to install/remove. Here is a link : Quick Splice Wire Connectors | WiringProducts.com

Good luck!
Thanks Toasted I used the splicers and it was easy, just hate doing that kind of stuff. Here is a pic, tried to get full front but was to bright will try later.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks awesome brah, so glad they worked for you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks great! I want to try and get mine in this weekend. I'm going under the horizontal under the headlights and vertical in the front bumper vents. Any chances of you having a pic of the wire you tapped into?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks great! I want to try and get mine in this weekend. I'm going under the horizontal under the headlights and vertical in the front bumper vents. Any chances of you having a pic of the wire you tapped into?
Didn't see this post till now , so no picture. All I did was turn on parking lights to make sure I tapped into right wire. It's the green wire going into parking bulb, then took ground and screwed it to a metal brace with a connector. So they work with parking lights and stay on with headlights. If you still need a pic I can get one tomorrow.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A picture would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! The lights are still on my list of to-dos. I don't know where all the time goes...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.