Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking here in the forums I am not 100% sure what speakers to get, it would seem at least according to crutchfiield that 5.25 for the rear doors and 6.5 for the front, though I have seen people talk about putting 6.5s all around, is there any issues with the rear doors and the larger sizes?

Also would somthing a little larger work? I was thinking about these for the rear Infinity Kappa 62.9i 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com and these for the front Infinity Kappa 60.9cs 6-3/4" component speaker system For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com and eventually get some kind of 4 channel amp for them and install my old Kenwood from my Camry.

·
Registered
978 Posts
It's been a while since I put my door speakers in (I put 6.5's in all 4 doors).

The holes in the front doors are huge and you have to make/buy adapter plates to mount them. They are fairly easy to make if you have tools. Most make them from mdf, though I would buy water-resistant mdf or put a coat of paint on the adapters to seal them. I have also read where people use cheap plastic cutting boards. This looks like them, though it doesn't list the xB specifically

The holes in the rear doors are smaller, but an adapter plate will space them far enough out for speakers larger than 5.25's. I think there is quite a bit of room between the speaker cone and the plastic door panel for a spacer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The holes in the rear doors are smaller, but an adapter plate will space them far enough out for speakers larger than 5.25's. I think there is quite a bit of room between the speaker cone and the plastic door panel for a spacer.
I put 6.5" component speakers in my rear doors using homemade adapter plates made from 3/4" thick particle board that I had on hand. Or you could use 3/4" thick MDF, it's a bit more robust. No problems with window clearance. I also sandwiched some foam weatherstrip between the speaker frames and the inner door panels.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Personally, I'd go with the component speakers in all four doors.

For me, putting the tweaters up high in the rear doors made a -WORLD- of difference. The soundstage became so much more clear and distinct.

Plus if you go with four identical speakers, the sound is well balanced and there are no front-to-rear fader issues at various volume levels.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but can someone post some pics of how/where they mounted the tweeters for their component speakers? Will most tweeters work in factory sail on front door? And what about rear door? Thanks in advance! Oh and is factory alpine head unit good enough to power them or should you do a 4-channel amp instead?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
...can someone post some pics of how/where they mounted the tweeters for their component speakers? And what about rear door?
I'm assuming most of your concern is how and where to mount the tweeters, since the mounts for the woofers are hidden inside the doors.

See my website for a pic of my rear door component speakers:
https://sites.google.com/site/brickpigs2011xb/home/2011-scion-xb-1st-month
Some component kits come with multiple mounting options. My Kickers came with 3: flush, surface, and angled.

For the fronts, I've read about some folks who have modified their interior sail panels to accept their new tweeters. This makes the new tweeters invisible since they are tucked within the sail panels. Or depending on the size and your personal preferences, you could probably mount the new tweeters on top of the sail panels, and use the angled mount option to aim them a bit.

Some component kits have a separate crossover network, which has to be mounted separately. Also some of those crossover networks (like mine) have frequency selection controls, although for me I adjusted it a couple of times and have not touched it since.

I should mention that after I replaced the rear speakers I was happy with the new highs, but that the bass coming from the rear speakers was disappointing. Not sure why but perhaps it's because I'm driving all the speakers (front and rear) with the stock head unit (maybe the speakers needs more power?) Fortunately the stock front speakers put out decent sound, including bass. After adding my sub and monoblock amp, I think the overall sound when sitting in the driver's seat is fine. Since I don't spend much time in my back seat and am on a budget, I left the system alone.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but can someone post some pics of how/where they mounted the tweeters for their component speakers? Will most tweeters work in factory sail on front door? And what about rear door? Thanks in advance! Oh and is factory alpine head unit good enough to power them or should you do a 4-channel amp instead?

Here is a link showing how I got mine to fit. I've read where many people just replace the 6.5's in the door and leave their stock tweeters.

I don't have the stock Alpine so I don't know the specs, but a decent amp can make a huge difference in sound quality as well as volume.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks guys good info so from what I gather stock head unit should be fine pushing them but an amp would of course be better!?

·
Registered
595 Posts
i would recommend putting an amp to the door speakers due to the stereo not having the best eq to tune the speakers.just make sure your 4 channel rms per channel is not stronger then your speakers or else you will blow them quick

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brickpig, zinger and others help me put this list together, and this is what I ended up getting. Maybe this will help you, read the comments because one item came from eBay.

Amazon.com

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Brickpig, zinger and others help me put this list together, and this is what I ended up getting. Maybe this will help you, read the comments because one item came from eBay.

Amazon.com
I looked at the list, and since I'm the one advocating component speakers, I zoomed in on that. I noted that the general Search picture shows component speakers, but if you click on it, the Detail picture of the item only shows the woofer. Also the price seems too good to be true. I'd advise that you double-check with the seller that they really are component speakers and not coaxial speakers. I had that problem with my set (not the same seller), they advertised Kicker components but sent me coaxials, I had to return them and get my money back.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i would recommend putting an amp to the door speakers due to the stereo not having the best eq to tune the speakers.just make sure your 4 channel rms per channel is not stronger then your speakers or else you will blow them quick
Just curious if anyone has amped the OEM front speakers? How much power can they handle?

(I think my aftermarket rear door speakers could use more power...been thinking recently of getting a Kenwood 4-channel amp...but also want to make sure the front OEM speakers can handle it...)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'll start the return on the two SNI35

Thanks for the head's up brickpig, Amazon has some crazy deals, but I'll watch out in case they try to send me just the woofers. Amazon is pretty good to me, they've righted a few wrongs in the past.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I too replaced the rear speakers w/ 6.5's. They sounded better but after see the sale price on the Bazooka sub,I got one and installed it. The sound made a BIG difference in the lower end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.