Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dunno what it is, but it feels like the audio is really unbalanced in my xb. i can make it sound great up front, but then the ppl in the back will miss out on some of the mid and a lot of the higher frequencies. if i adjust the fader so that it's aimed more in favor of the back seats, then the front misses out on some of the bass and the higher frequencies sound more "canny". its like i cant win. i like a lot of bass, but not so much that it drowns out everything else. also, the bass doesn't seem to have that really nice deep rich tone. it sounds as tho you can kinda hear the cone bouncing, or like a really deep fart sometimes. rofl, i dont know how else to explain it; maybe i just have the volume up too high for the stock speakers. perhaps its just the eclipse avn6620 doing a bad job? or maybe my ears are inside out?

i'm thinking of replacing the rear speakers with 6 or 6.5 inch component system. i'm thinking either Blaupunkt GTc652 or Alpine SPS-600C. i'm not really an audio enthusiast but i can easily figure out how to install speakers and run wires, provided someone point me to some reading material to help me better understand. as said earlier, i have the eclipse avn6620 headunit. would i need an amp for either one of these component systems? how would i know if i needed an amp?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would you happen to know if i'd need an amp if replaced the rear speakers with the aforementioned ones, and put the tweeters somewhere in the back too?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
No didn't need an amp for these. I could pump out more power if I needed to but there is enough juice for my usage. The tweeters I actually drilled holes in my door panel and put them in. I got pictures on here somewhere.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Me too. I used to install high end stereo system (that's why I can't hear anything anymore) and I like a certain clean sound with a smooth frequency curve. I have tried everything with the upgraded stereo and just can't get rid of the muddy mid ranges. So I've been looking at the Infinity 6022i or the Alpine SPS-600C. Oh and I don't really care about the people in the back :lol:. What has anyone else done for new speakers?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm looking to switch out mine as well. I've been trying to figure out what the max depth on the speakers is.

I've also read that the front speakers are a combination of a component tweeter with a crossover that is only for the tweeter. the lower speaker is actually a full range speaker and therfore the wiring up front is a bit wierd. not sure if that is true or not.

I too can't stand the rear speaker "quality" but also have been conserned that simply replacing them won't fix the problem. Almost seems like they are not being driven as hard as the fronts are

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I don't have time for the D.I.Y. right this moment but I will do it

Here is what I found. Now I don't really care about the people in the back, since there usually isn't any. However I like to hear my music all around me. So I found that if I adjusted the fade to the rear I could hear the sound behind me as well. I think I set it too level 5. Then after I installed the speakers I left the level the same cause it sounded nice. However, now that I am running componet speakers I have much more dynamic sound. Especially with trance and dance music which I like to play at car shows. For those of you that don't listen to this kind of music, good trance will use the entire range of sound and I can tell a huge difference with the tweeters and mid-drivers. Plus I placed the tweeters in the rear door panel so it sits closer to the front seats. I can hear the tweeters clearly from my front seat.

If you want really cool sound for just yourself you could always install tweeters in the headrest of your seat. That would sound amazing as well.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
cnstarz said:
i dunno what it is, but it feels like the audio is really unbalanced in my xb. i can make it sound great up front, but then the ppl in the back will miss out on some of the mid and a lot of the higher frequencies. if i adjust the fader so that it's aimed more in favor of the back seats, then the front misses out on some of the bass and the higher frequencies sound more "canny". its like i cant win. i like a lot of bass, but not so much that it drowns out everything else. also, the bass doesn't seem to have that really nice deep rich tone. it sounds as tho you can kinda hear the cone bouncing, or like a really deep fart sometimes. rofl, i dont know how else to explain it; maybe i just have the volume up too high for the stock speakers. perhaps its just the eclipse avn6620 doing a bad job? or maybe my ears are inside out?

i'm thinking of replacing the rear speakers with 6 or 6.5 inch component system. i'm thinking either Blaupunkt GTc652 or Alpine SPS-600C. i'm not really an audio enthusiast but i can easily figure out how to install speakers and run wires, provided someone point me to some reading material to help me better understand. as said earlier, i have the eclipse avn6620 headunit. would i need an amp for either one of these component systems? how would i know if i needed an amp?
have you tried changing the SSP settings? there are three different settings that give different distribubitons of sound and you can also set the equalizer to a particular setting for each FM/AM, iPod channel etc...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yanges said:
have you tried changing the SSP settings? there are three different settings that give different distribubitons of sound and you can also set the equalizer to a particular setting for each FM/AM, iPod channel etc...
i dont have the stock scion system. i have an eclipse avn6620 dvd/nav system.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
cnstarz said:
yanges said:
i dont have the stock scion system. i have an eclipse avn6620 dvd/nav system.
oops :rolleyes:

i thought that was the one you were going to get :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I kinda agree.. i have the OEM of the pioneer that scion installed and i had to play with the settings on my radio to get it just right and its not really 100%.. but it doesnt give many features as to adjust the full sound on it..

in my case the good thing is i do not use the radio at all.i have not listen to radio broadcast in over 2yrs.. im a music junkie and have been collecting for a long time and so i bought me an 80gb ipod which i now use religiously and when i dont i have plenty of MP3 cds i have made myself.. *sorry got off topic*

what i was saying is .. on my radio i set the base and Treble to default even(0) then i set the mode to FEEL.. with that my ipod has full EQ settings that i played with for about an hour and got my stereo & sound tuned! and now my sounds are pretty dope.. loud with good bass not too much treble, and clear! my boys have complimented on how clear it sounds in the back now!

FYI for those with ipods maybe something you can try!
hope this helps..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good to know about the iPod EQ use. Using Feel the upper mid just fades away so I'm going to get a set of Infinity's which are very efficient and have rich mids and highs. The stereo itself pushes so much bass that I think the Infinity's will balance things out nicely. I'll post when I get them in a few weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.