Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What is a Transmission?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am about to buy an xB, I was wondering about the pros and cons of a Manual vs. Automatic on an xB . . .
AND
As this is about the only significant difference other than color when buying a new one, . . .

What are the pros and cons, benefits, performance difference between the Scion's different transmissions?

(I also thought that this would make a beneficial and interesting thread for years to come, as more people look at the boxes we know and love.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like my automatic!!!
Per the mfg specs, the mpg are the same. I do a lot of in town or rush hour hwy driving so driving a manual can really be a pain.

G

·
If you check out the post on here people claim to get better gas milage with a manual. Plus there cheeper. But I like my auto its easy to drive and it has that fake manual shift thingy on it to.

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
I've always preferred a stick-shift. I like the control it gives you for different driving situations and it's never bothered me in stop and go traffic. The newer "auto-stick" configuration overcomes this to some extent, but I'm skeptical about how well it will hold up in the long run.

·
Registered
317 Posts
manuals used to get better gas mileage, but with the new computers in cars, autos are better. people can't shift as efficiently as a computer

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know (have read) that the AT is a 4-speed and the MT is a 5-speed
How do the gear ratios compare?

How does the clutch/gearbox feel once it is good and broken in?

(I am used to a Miata's clutch and box, so I am a bit "spoiled" on manual experience. The Miata has one of the best gearbox interfaces around.)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Don't let these guys fool you Tartan. Get the fivespeed. Its so much better then the automatic. Maybe not so much in gas mileage but the driving experiance is so much better. This vehical has some amazing torque at the low end. Not as much on the higher end. Plus there is nothing better then down shifiting and hitting the gas when you really wanna get outta the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Manual transmissions aren't for everyone. Then again, automatics aren't for everyone either. For me, I prefer stick shifts. You get a sense of actually controlling the car, where an automatic controlls you. You get to shift when you want, down shift when you need the power now (where an automatic hesitates while it thinks about what it should do), plus, I've noticed stick shifts make you pay more attention to driving instead of day dreaming because your car does all the work for you. =o) Automatics just bore me. I was so afraid to get my first one, the tC, but now I don't really want to go back to an auto. Oh and sense the computer in our car isn't as sophisticated as say the Evo, the stick shifts can still out perform the automatics. :yes:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Auto.
My wife is rather uncomfortable driving stick. I already have a Miata, which I love but want the xB as a "companion" for everyday driving as the sportscar is getting a bit "old" (the Miata -Fenix- is 19 years old with 337,000 miles) and can't sit both kids when I take them to school.

There was also some more "additional" pressure for an automatic . . . I'd rather not get into that.

I have found the auto to be pleasing and the s-drive to be VERY easy to use for massing and quicker acceleration when needed.
As I have yet to drive a manual, I am unable to compare the two side-by-side.

Overall, the xB reminds me of the "fun" of my old VW Vanagon ( "WedgeBus"- was named "Spectre II"), but with a lower CoG and FAR better acceleration and braking.
-> I have found myself recalling fond memories of the 7 years driving Spectre II when driving the xB.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great choice for most driving. There are times I'd like to have the stick but as mentioned. Heavy traffic just destroys the fun. With the s-mode you can play when you want to. :D

Glad to hear you got the car. Color, goodies etc. :cheers: 8)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the AT, I drive in alot of freeway traffic going to work everyday and i drive up to Ventura every weekend and that traffic sucks, so I went with the automatic,.. I always have S mode........ ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Imho, it depends on where ya live. Really hilly or steep roads like mountains and hills... a manual can be a pain. Especially when people pull up right behind you at stops. Excuse me! Ever heard of roll-back? But then a manual can be amazingly fun to drive, too.

I bought an automatic because my other/previous vehicle is a jeep wrangler. And that's about like shifting a freight train with a fishing pole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ordered my 09 with a manual. Most of the cars I've owned have been manual - they are just more fun to drive. You can control the car better by deciding when to shift. As for traffic - driving in NY rush hour traffic I still prefer the manual. Gives me something to do.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
gwins12345 said:
Just ordered my 09 with a manual. Most of the cars I've owned have been manual - they are just more fun to drive. You can control the car better by deciding when to shift. As for traffic - driving in NY rush hour traffic I still prefer the manual. Gives me something to do.
Welcome!!!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.